Do you still believe in the concept of absolute truth?

by JW_Rogue 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Yes, I believe in the concept of absolute truth.

I believe that is does not come from the organization that started 140 years ago and promotes 'lying for the Truth[tm]'

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

I dont need absolute truth. I think it's very rare to find absolute truth about anything. That being said, we can easily find what is generally true if we put forth the effort. I need overwhelming evidence and I base my beliefs off that. Those who want absolute truth usually end up being absolutely brainwashed into an absolutist cult. You should take the large body of data at your disposal and make a rational decision without sentiment or emotion.

• Island Man
    Island Man

Yes, I believe that truth exists. 2 + 2 = 4. That is an absolute truth.

JWs and religions in general, abuse the word truth. They throw it around cheaply, applying it to their fanciful and unproven myths and ideologies.

I have come to appreciate that truth is a word that should be used more responsibly. I have also come to appreciate that we don't need to know everything to live a satisfying life. We don't need to have answers to the big questions like: How did the universe begin? Is there a purpose to life? Why are we here? ... in order to live a purposeful and satisfying life.

Religion manufactures false needs and then proceeds to recommend itself as the avenue for meeting those needs. One of those false needs is knowledge of the Truth about big unanswerable questions like those mentioned above.

• nancy drew
    nancy drew

I live inside a pumpkin shell

or maybe deep inside a well

I look around I touch the wall

It feels like it is very tall

under a pillow there is truth

maybe if you leave a tooth

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

I believe that individual claims are either true or they are not true. They are either an accurate representation of reality or they are not.

And used in everyday speech "Absolute Truth" usually address' the confidence in a claim. Not the accuracy of a claim.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

No, I am content and not on any quest to find 'absolute truth', if there even is such a thing.

Maybe we weren't meant to know all the answers. If other people want to knock themselves out...they're welcome to. Good luck.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Prof: Absolute truth does not exist!

Student: Are you sure?

Prof: Absolutely!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit