Server Errors / Forum Update

by Simon 7 Replies latest forum announcements

• Simon
    Simon

Oops, sorry about that - the last update caused a few server errors on some topics. They should be OK now.

Just rolling out some more updates to make things slightly quicker and lay the foundation for future improvements.

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

...would u quit screwing around LOL. did the added instances help the lag?

• Simon
    Simon

It was one of those "ok, that is perfect and all tested too ... oh wait, I'll just copy that optimized bit of code there as well before I deploy it as I know it does exactly the same thing". Aaaaaand ... It didn't. Not exactly. So error.

I think the delay was a hosting thing - the delays happened for the exact same period of time and happened with or without any code changes even with larger instances deployed and then went back to normal without any code changes as well. We're now running on the smallest of the small instances and it's working as expected again.

The latest updates are just general tidying up and bashing a few things back in to shape that got a bit untidy and making sure I I'm not using any Python specific marshalling formats anywhere (so backend pieces can be switched with Go).

• Hadriel
    Hadriel

I asked on the instances because I noticed the lag at roughly the same time of day. I don't think the instances are it is the point.

On the server error, like yeah that happens. Is what it is.

• never a jw
    never a jw

I can't rely on a demon infested free forum that has a failure rate of 0.00001 %. I hope the new order comes soon.

• stillin
    stillin

Thanks, Simon. I never know whether I did something wrong or if my IPad is acting up or if it's something on the other end.

Looks fine now!

• LifesNotOver
    LifesNotOver

Admit freely I don't understand any of this stuff, but I do get that it takes a lot of time and effort and commitment, and I thank you for that Simon. LNO

• Simon
    Simon
    I can't rely on a demon infested free forum that has a failure rate of 0.00001 %. I hope the new order comes soon.

LOL, it's not quite that solid but I can remember on the old old software I'd wake up and find the forum had been offline for 8 hours because the SQL log file was full. It's definitely better now but yeah, "demunz inside" (queue intel bing-bong jingle).

I never know whether I did something wrong or if my IPad is acting up or if it's something on the other end.

I think it's probably a safe bet to assume the problem is this end, not your end. As long as you can get to other internet sites of course - if not, it's your end.

I don't understand any of this stuff, but I do get that it takes a lot of time and effort and commitment, and I thank you for that Simon

You're welcome - programming is still a hobby as well as a career and the forum is a labour of love. I do experiment with technology from time to time just because it's fun. Ok, and because I'm a geek.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit