Halloween!

by frozen2018 3 Replies latest jw friends

• frozen2018
    frozen2018

Most years I don't get many kids at my house. I think its because my staircase is too steep and long but I'd always get a few. This year, because of the panic, I left my treats in a big pot by the sidewalk with a sign that says, "Help yourself! Leave some for others, please." The pot is filled with snack size Hershey's, Kit-Kat, and Snickers bars. There is also a carton of juice boxes next to the pot. So far no kids. At least I tried.

I remember Halloween when I was a youth. Mobs of kids running the streets, bags full of candy, the odd act of minor vandalism. Good times...not that I would know from personal experience. We stayed at home...with the lights turned off...in dead silence. That way no one would come to our door. If someone did come and ring the bell, mom would shush us (like we weren't already being quiet) and wait for them to go away. It was kind of nerve racking. Sometimes we would even abandon our house for the night and flee to a friends house way out in the country where trick of treaters didn't bother coming. We did this and thought it was completely normal. Terrified of little kids in costumes. Good times.

• Biahi
    Biahi

I wanted so much to trick or treat and fit in with the others, I HATED not celebrating holidays.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

FROZEN & BIAHI:

Some people think Halloween is a nuisance. I think it is mostly for small children and I think it’s nice if people leave a pail of candies for the kiddies.

In recent years I have only seen young children accompanied by an adult. The children are all excited about dressing up in a costume. I remember when us children were young and were happy about the costumes and going door to door getting goodies. (Can you tell I wasn’t raised a JW?..😊).

But, when we got home our mom made us dump everything on the table. Any loose candy not wrapped went in the garbage. I’m sorry for JWs who didn’t have holidays and felt deprived as children. I would try to get into the spirit a little now although I know some ex-JWs aren’t into it and that’s okay too.

I’m not really into Halloween but like the Fall season.. I really love Thanksgiving and Christmas with all the food, decorations and festivities.. When I ‘faded’ from the religion I made sure to make up for the years I needlessly isolated myself like some nut..And ironically what a fool I was since the JWs hardly even bothered with me! Meanwhile I could have spent time with relatives (the only people who cared) and all that good food!

• carla
    carla

Non jw here, Halloween was great fun when I was a kid! Parents never went with you and naturally it was dark. The boys tended to go farther than us girls so they had quite a haul. We would go up into the 'rich' subdivision and some even gave out full size candy bars! exciting times I tell you.

One house had a note on the door about not celebrating, none of had ever heard of jw's and didn't know what they were. That poor kid got labeled as some kind of weirdo. Their house was dark, don't know if they were hiding out in the basement or something. I think their windows might have gotten soaped one year. That was the extent of shenanigans by anybody.

Longhairgal, yep, us too! got home and dumped everything out so mom could look through and toss anything questionable. (hint for those of you just beginning to participate- don't make homemade popcorn balls unless they are for people you personally know, they will be tossed. If you are old and think apples are a good treat, err, no, don't give apples either)

When my kids were young school had 'book character' day right before Halloween. It had to be from a book they had read. That way all the kids could participate even if they belonged to a nutty cult. Not sure if any jw kids did or didn't participate as it was really just a politically correct way to let the kids have some Halloween fun. Pre jw spouse days for me so they weren't on my radar yet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit