more possible KH closures/sell off London area

by jookbeard 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

about the mid 1980's they purchased a large plot of land in an area called Addington a suburb of South London to build a KH complex comprising of 3 KH's with the options to add further congs to each KH, basically each KH could house 3 congs so the complex could possibly house 9 congs, it was a huge vanity project for the UK branch, you'd hear stories of how these congs are bursting at the seams etc, I think at one stage one of the congs had over 200 publishers, it was a huge construction project even bigger than the CA Hall they were building a few miles south. Fast forward to last night and I got chatting to a couple of jw's in my local pub, I knew one of the guys as I used to sometimes see him in the town, he's a nice pleasant guy and I didn't get into any doctrinal discussions just chatted generally about how life is as a jw these days and the changes going on world wide etc, I touched on the vast KH and Branch sell offs going on and he mentions that the Addington site is to be sold! I was astounded, nothing confirmed yet and but the land is prime real estate for housing development, the UK branch must have been offered a deal they cant refuse.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I wonder how those who gave of their time and money to get this thing bought and built really feel about this huge rip-off scam ?

I know if you question them they repeat the downright lies they have been told, " the money is needed to build Halls in Africa" etc etc, but deep down ?

They must be seriously pissed off !

• Balcacer
    Balcacer

By any chance can we see the real estate agent? Thank you!

• kramer
    kramer

I have heard from old friends that the hall in central London that covers Paddington/Marylebone/Notting hill area is being closed (worth £5-7m) is being sold , also other congregations are being told in north west London that changes are to be made. A new property for about £1m has been bought to replace the property possibly. Interesting times.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

That Paddington KH is steeped in jw UK history also Kramer, it was the very first Spanish speaking cong as well, they know full well with ludicrous property prices in London and the South East they would be stupid not to cash in, it is inevitable

• kramer
    kramer

@jookbeard , you are right, as Paddington was the home of the original UK bethel back in the 1900’s

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit