How to organize to support people transitioning out of the JWs

by Zef 2 Replies latest jw friends

• Zef
    Zef

I've been watching Escaping Polygamy (a show where a group of people help people get out of LDS polygamist organizations) and have been thinking a lot about how one could organize to assist JWs fleeing.

Would love to start a discussion on what would be needed, how it would work and the problems one would have to overcome.

Brief outline of services to provide

1. Community: I think most here would agree, that family/friends are a primary reason why people stay in despite no longer believing. No way to replace that, but providing a group of supportive ex-JW's to share experiences, hangout, do worldly activities with :) could go a long way to make a former JW transition easier.

2. Real World Practical Assistance: Not everyone would need this, but some definitely would. . .helping with the practical stuff that happens when there is a separation, i.e. moving, applying for health care, protection from retaliation/eldera via physical presence or hiding the escapee.

3. Put together a network of professionals: Professional help will be very useful in many cases. Helping people find the professionals that they need is very important, in my mind.

A. Legal Professionals: People that can assist with legal needs like divorce, custody, restraining orders, abuse, etc.

B. Counseling Professionals: There are a lot of unique stresses that happen to JW's as a member, then more when they are able to separate. Finding professionals that can work with us would be important

What else could a group of us do to help out in our cities?

• Sevan
    Sevan

I think those are all great ideas. I'm here to help out if need be with moral and social support. I live in the Sacramento area. PM me if you need help with anything and I'll see what I can do. I have no money or real network (since I was stupidly very loyal about the edict not to have any non-JW friends), but I can be a listening ear and can help in other practical ways.

I am not a lawyer, just an economist, so I can't help legally. I just left the financial industry for family reasons, so I can't help career wise other than to give advice. For me, the financial industry is incredibly stressful, so I am planning on moving into teaching or small business once I'm done having babies, lol (just had one and planning on having another in a year or two).

• notalone
    notalone

I think this is a wonderful idea, but as you are aware many witnesses never became professionals, but we may have some personal experience in these areas.( I believe being an ex-witness gives an important prospective) I f there were a few professionals who could oversee things with volunteers in different areas you could probably get more bang for the buck.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit