Jonathon Edwards preached to the Red Indians

by StopTheTears 9 Replies latest jw friends

• StopTheTears
    StopTheTears

I never knew that the famous New England theologian Jonathan Edwards spent some years as a missionary to the Red Indian tribes.

There are various modern ideas as to how one should preach to those completely ignorant of Christ and the way of salvation, but Edwards had confidence that the Gospel is the power of God unto salvation for all people. Perhaps someday those still living in pagan lands will accept Christ and share in the blessings of America.

• freddo
    freddo

All that and a triple jump Olympic gold medallist too!

• Simon
    Simon

Seriously? Talking about "pagan lands"? No doubt inhabited by "savages" eh?

But Jesus and Jesus-land can save everyone .... just believe in the imagery and the notion that somehow American's are gods chosen people and the new holy land.

Pathetic.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    There are various modern ideas as to how one should preach to those completely ignorant of Christ

Please, please consider the most modern idea of all; don't preach, leave people be.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

Hey freddo!

All that and a triple jump Olympic gold medallist too!

In his early days he refused to compete on a Sunday, but then he gave up a TV job presenting a religious programme because...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1542391/Olympian-Jonathan-Edwards-has-crisis-of-faith.html

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/jonathan-edwards-ive-taken-leap-3190574

• sir82
    sir82

"Red Indians" - now there is an imperialist phrase I thought I'd never hear again.

Who is the next target of evangelization - the "yellow menace"?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Jonathon Edwards preached to the Red Indians..

The Red Indians?..

What About Blue..Whats Wrong With Blue??!!

Image result for movie blue people

• Wayward
    Wayward

OMG! I haven't heard anything so patronizing and condescending since I quit going to the Kingdumb Hall. And what if the godless 'heathens' tell you to take your Jesus and stuff it? Are you going to force them to convert at the point of a sword or at the end of a gun? Burn them at the stake for being 'demon worshippers'?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I'm just trying to get my head around the photo of Jesus, the US flag and the bald eagle.

I hope StopTheTears realises that Jesus was a Jew who lived in first-century Palestine.

The things that make the US a great country are personal freedoms, the vote, education and an opportunity to have a high standard of living. None of these is anything to do with religion whatsoever ...

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Is this a tongue in cheek joke? there are two.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit