Is the Bible God's word? Help please.....

by Freeandclear 47 Replies latest jw friends

• bohm
    bohm

Hi Freeandclear,

If you are looking for middle-of-the-road stuff I would recommend Israel Finkelstein's "The bible unearthed" for the OT and "Misquoting Jesus" (or another book by Bart Ehrman; he write the same in all his books ;-) ) for the NT.

Perhaps even better Yale has their courses on the OT and NT available online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtQ2TS1CiDY&list=PL279CFA55C51E75E0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V006bX4mlu4&list=PLfbxB0kKayCQ2Hf6JlCCDN6z47ySYxsCW

they should give a good overview of the mainstream academic view. Start with the NT, the lecturer (Dale Martin, a Christian) is really entertaining.

• Perry
    Perry

JWS writes:

Only problem is everybody solves those things differently.

And you are reiterating my point. It is not my opinion that is important, but Gods. The bible usually answers or interprets itself in a pretty straight forward manor, like it does on the issue of Abraham's "only" son.

On the one hand they will tell you trust in God so that he can work his plan. But on the other you'll say things like "I'm praying for a job, or a spouse, or children" and it never happens. And they will tell you, well it won't happen just by praying. God will help you in your efforts. But you have to do something. Here, Abraham did something and you treat him as if he was being unfaithful.

Excellent points. I would just like to add that the bible reveals that we are born enemies of God. While still in our hostility toward him, Christ died for us, in our place, becoming sin for us, receiving our due punishment. I am unsure of the results of a person who places their primary trust in a organization, themselves, men, ideologies etc. & who then pray for certain things.

The bible is much more clear about the dynamic relationship God has with those he calls "sons". I was raised as a 4th generation Jehovah's Witness. I prayed for many, many things and experienced a tremendous amount of sheer wasted time because the primary object of my faith was the Watchtower and not God. Upon realizing this, it of course was quite a shock to me because I was pretty satisfied with my religious efforts to please God. After experiencing a life as a born again Christian for the past 10 year, I can compare the two. My opinion is that most any attempts to rely on God while venerating anyone or anything in his place is nearly a complete waste of time.

My advice is to make friends with God first, before seeking these other things. Then, make sure you understand what God has actually said as opposed to what someone has repeated what God has said, before embarking on a course of pursuit.

For instance, your characterization of Abraham in your quote above makes it look like Abraham & Sarah were simply avoiding laziness and were just trying to work in harmony with God and wasn't being unfaithful at all. However, when you look at exactly what God said, the willful disobedience becomes clear.

And God said unto Abraham, As for Sarai thy wife, thou shalt not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall her name be. And I will bless her, and give thee a son also of her: yea, I will bless her, and she shall be a mother of nations; kings of people shall be of her.

God made it clear that Sarah would bear a son to Abraham. And through him would come kings and nations. And, that is just precisely what happened, in spite of their lapse in faith and efforts to make things happen by other means.

• mikeypants
    mikeypants

If by god you mean the men who actually wrote it then yes.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

The bible should be taken in honest acceptance as a reference of human social and ideological expressions from people who had to live within their ignorance of what they knew and understood of the world in which they lived.

The ancient Hebrews developed a belief system around a monotheist god ( YHWH )

and scribed many stories to back up their purposed concept of all powerful singular deity which they proclaimed their particular sect alone was chosen by this god.

They also derived a structured social moral standard which they proclaimed came from their god ie. 10 commandments, which had positive social attributes for their civilization.

As toward the NT and the development of Christianity a returning savior Messiah was not original or unique to the Hebrew nation or religious teachings, there were other civilizations in that era whose theology taught this as well, even predating the Hebrews ie. Zoroastrianism

• Perry
    Perry

I think that Gary Habermas does a good job in distilling the things that scholars agree on, from the most liberal "near atheist" like Bart Erhman to modern conservative ones. He a master of connecting the dots using just the things that are agreed upon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay_Db4RwZ_M

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

So with a unbiased honest evaluation the bible was written by men with their own a specific inherit intent and purpose..

What gets to a point of intellectual dishonesty is the when people say that the bible writings were was directed by (a) god.

God is essentially power which men can and have utilized for good or evil but it has always come from man's own imagination and self evolved conceptual ideology.

• Saename
    Saename

Sorry to be the one to say it... but the Bible is God's Word. It's all true. Everybody knows it.

And Jesus is God.

In John 15.5, he himself says,

I am the vine; you are the branches.
  • Half banana
    Half banana

Noah's flood is a myth, a complete and utter myth...there is no evidence for it at all and it could not have happened for many reasons. Yet Jesus (and Peter) believed it.

It is easy for characters in story books to believe spurious events.

When Paul (probably a real person) spoke of "all scripture being inspired of God and beneficial" there was no Bible. In context with Greek language usage of his time, "all scripture" just referred to the category of any writings of an upbuilding nature. What a folly it is to be a literalist!

The Bible is just a list of texts which a religious authority approves for the promotion of its own doctrines.

So Freeandclear should you want more academic books than already mentioned, anything by the outstanding textual and history scholar Thomas L Thompson is authoritative. I recommend his Messiah Myth, Pimlico,2007.(The Near Eastern roots of Jesus and David). Also, The Bible in History; How writers create a past, Pimlico,1999 by the same author.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit