Stockholm syndrome and religion

by menrov 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• menrov
    menrov

Based on a discussion I had with my wife, I started to compare the situation of people who are a member of a religious organisation or are devout to a belief, to the so-called Stockholm syndrome. The Stockholm syndrome is where feelings of trust or affection is felt in many cases of kidnapping or hostage-taking by a victim towards a captor.

In such a situation, the person being kidnapped is not free to leave and is held against their will but over time takes that situation as a "new normal" and even starts to see their kidnapper(s) as normal people. A new type of relationship starts. As long as the person being kidnapped does not challenge the kidnapper for the fact that your are kidnapped and remain to have hope to be released one day, the relationship between kidnapper and the person being kidnapped starts to become "normal".

People who are religious have a relationship with their God. They follow their God or the people who represent their God. They will not challenge their God for the situation they are in. They have hope one day things will be better (for them). They forget that their belief is actually kidnapping them. They are accepting things that others would normally not. They even might find excuses for certain events.

OK, may be not a 100% similar situation as the Stockholm syndrome but I do see parallels.

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

Not much different from how most people are reacting to the house-arrest inflicted by their government captors.

"Covid 19 syndrome" will become the new "normal." Every time a seasonal 'flu virus occurs, expect to see a rinse & repeat of the "emergency" laws which were created for the C19 version of the Black Plague.

Denying being conned won't change what's about to follow.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

To a point I can agree.... Certainly if you live among it long enough and cut all other social activity.....you get to believe in it.

• cofty
    cofty

Menrov - I think it's a perfect analogy. We see the same thing in totalitarian regimes. People genuinely wept when Stalin died. There is a human tendency to become complicit in your own oppression.

• TD
    TD

Or as Dolgun said, "People love power in the hope that it will love them back."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit