Study article: "Go, and Make Disciples.." is a hot mess

by Sanchy 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

stuckinarut2 - "This has to be one of the most illogical and contradictory articles they have produced in such a long time."

Which is sayin' a lot. :smirk:

• John Free
    John Free

When I was begining to wake up to ttatt it was difficult to ignore the idea that the jw's were carrying out the world wide preaching work. But I'd never thought to ask HOW are they carrying out the worldwide preaching work? Was it a result of holy spirit? Giving power beyond what is normal? Or had I witnessed perfectly decent brothers push themselves to the point of burnout? Were brothers motivated to preach from the heart? or were they worried what the elders monitoring them would think of their report? -futher it became clear to me that KM article were littered with emotional blackmail, guilt trips and scaremongering tactics to squeeze every last drop out of the slaves...urr I mean publishers. So for me one of the key things any lurkers need to ask is 'is HOW the jw's getting their preaching accomplished ethical?'

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

https://vimeo.com/19491945

From Wikipedia, they surpass WTBTS by far :

Modern translation efforts

See also: International Bible Society, Wycliffe Bible Translators, and Institute for Bible Translation

The Bible is the most translated book in the world. The United Bible Societies announced that as of 31 December 2007 the complete Bible was available in 438 languages, 123 of which included the deuterocanonical material as well as the Tanakh and New Testament. Either the Tanakh or the New Testament was available in an additional 1,168 languages. In 1999, Wycliffe Bible Translators announced Vision 2025—a project that intends to commence Bible translation in every remaining language community by 2025. They currently estimate that around 209 million people, representing 2.95% of the world's population, speak those 1,967 languages where translation work still needs to begin. In November 2012, Wycliffe stated that parts of the Bible are available in 2,798 languages out of the 6,877 known languages, and that there are currently 518 languages with a complete Bible translation. At least 5 billion people (71% of the world's population) have access to a full Bible translation in their native language. Wycliffe added that a further 595 million (8.5% of the world's population), representing 1,275 languages, have at least the New Testament in their first language. An additional 1,005 languages (almost 20% of the world's population) were reported to have at least one book of the Bible available. By September 2012, personnel from participating Bible translation organizations were involved in 2,075 language programs.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    When I was begining to wake up to ttatt it was difficult to ignore the idea that the jw's were carrying out the world wide preaching work.

Except they are not. Vast areas and populations of the earth have no meaningful representation. Virtually the whole of North Africa and the Middle East is blind to Jehovah's Witnesses. The ratio of publishers to population in places like China and the Indian sub-continent is so great as to be as effective as a chocolate teapot. Even in countries with well established Witness presence the actual effectiveness of the ministry has to be questioned given the low conversion rates and appalling understanding of even basic Witness teachings amongst the general population.

The ministry is a colossal waste of time. 1.9 billion hours (supposedly) spent in the ministry last year. That's 1.9 BILLION hours. Sounds amazing, except only 260k people were baptised. That's over 7400 hours or 2.5 years of 8 hour day preaching to bring one person into "da troof".

Not only that, the 260k baptisms offset a drop of 242k elsewhere as the net increase over the year was only 18,000 people.

The whole thing is the biggest waste of time ever and if Jehovah is blessing this work then I would hate to see it without his attention.

https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/5162895939731456/statistics-spreadsheets-opinion

• Perry
    Perry
    The ratio of publishers to population in places like China and the Indian sub-continent is so great as to be as effective as a chocolate teapot

Excellent points Konceptual99!

We can see how effective the WT's version of the "gospel of the kingdom" has been through the distribution of Watchtower literature when you compare it to the gospel of salvation, grace, peace and of Jesus shared by word of mouth in China. It addition to churches where they can meet openly, tens of thousand of House Churches are baptizing thousands of people every day.

These gospels are so effective over the gospel of the kingdom (the WT version) that some experts are predicting that China will, in just nine more years, take over as the most Christian nation on earth!

"By my calculations China is destined to become the largest Christian country in the world very soon," said Fenggang Yang, a professor of sociology at Purdue University and author of Religion in China: Survival and Revival under Communist Rule.

Prof Yang, a leading expert on religion in China, believes that number will swell to around 160 million by 2025. That would likely put China ahead even of the United States, which had around 159 million Protestants in 2010 but whose congregations are in decline.

Article

Ephesians 2:8-9

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

It is way past time that the Wt stops boasting!

• Fernando
    Fernando

There is a good reason no JW can explain the difference between proselytising and evangelising.

They proselytise - teach religion.

They do not evangelise - teach the evangel or gospel of grace.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit