I am so angry!(venting)

by Sadie5 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Sadie5
    Sadie5

Yesterday I received not one but two water bills. I immediately called City Hall to question why we were getting two bills. The clerk said it was because we were using water from a meter that had been inactive. We have two water meters on our property and one of them we had turned off about 10 years ago. I informed the clerk that we were not using water from that meter, we had not requested it to be turned on. If someone was using water from that meter, then it was being stolen or somehow the pipelines to another home got crossed. ( We got some new houses built out here) She said it was our problem, and we would have to pay for it regardless of who was using it.

I hung up with her as I was getting nowhere. I studied the bills and could see that the amount of water used was identical to our real bill and the meter readings were identical also. Someone used the figures off our meter we were using for both meters. I called and talked to the same clerk and called her attention to the figures. She said she would look into it and said to go to the inactive meter and get a present reading and call back. My husband then went out and after several minutes came back in to say that whoever read the inactive meter must have had X-ray vision because it was buried under several layers of dirt. So I called the clerk back again, she said she was sending a meter reader out. I asked how long was this going to take, since we had appointments to go to. She said it would be within the hour,

My husband, not wanting them to come out and just read our active meter and say they were right, stood at the inactive meter for over an hour, waiting. The temperature was 101 degrees. Nobody showed up.

I called back to City Hall and the clerk I had been dealing with was out to lunch. I then asked if someone else could help me and tell me when the meter reader was coming out to verify our inactive meter. This person told me that no meter reader was coming out, the first clerk had voided the bill when I brought her attention to the identical readings for both meters.

I was so angry, couldn't the first clerk just told us that to begin with? My husband stood out in horrible heat for nothing. She just didn't want to admit to a mistake. I asked if I could have a new bill, showing zero balance and was told no, I just wouldn't receive bills on the inactive account again.

I told the second clerk I was going to file a complaint with the Public Utility Commission. But when I called there I found out that the water department of the city is unregulated. They get to treat us like crap and get away with it.

I wrote a letter to the City Manager about how this clerk treated us. I don't expect anything to come from it but it helped a bit anyway. I called City Hall, one last time before I wrote the letter, I got the first clerk and asked for her full name. She gave it to me, asked who I was, and she still couldn't apologize for the crap she pulled.

City workers are scum. ( Well not all of them just the idiot ones)

Thanks for letting me vent.

Sadie

• blondie
    blondie

Sadie5

I know how you feel and I am a government worker dealing with the public. But I also have to deal with other government agencies and have gotten the run around. I'm glad though it was straightened out. Some of these things can go on at lot longer.

Blondie

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

I used to work for the city government when I lived in the US. I saw some of the worst work ethics possible. One thing my @(*#&$& father did teach me was to have pride in my work, to do the best I can possibly do. So I always worked hard. It was really annoying to see how much rubbish everyone else got away with. Our hours were 8-4:30 pm. Many of the people just stopped working at 3, and spent the rest of the time chatting, painting their fingernails, browsing through catalogues, shopping, eating, personal phone calls, etc., etc.

I would be angry at such shoddy treatment too.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Be content in knowing that your identity was not stolen. This type of bureaucratic shenanigans goes on all the time. I get my water bill a year in advance! I don't pay until the last week. I'm glad you complained, yes, make a stink about it. Don't let this water bill roll off your back that easily.

Guest 77

• Francois
    Francois

This perfectly describes one of those lose-lose situations.

For five years, I owned an Apple, IBM, Compaq computer store and every once in a while I had to deal with the public. I'd rather take a shower in nitric acid. Once ding-bat woman called Apple corporate and accused me of selling her a green screen monitor, telling her it would do color !!! I could only stand there gasping for breath like a fish out of water.

And clerks. God protect me from ever having to deal with clerks. They are a special breed of people sent to populate the planet in positions that sometime deal with life or death issues. And the closer to life or death the issue is, the less completely filled is their brain cavity. Now I know this isn't universally true, it's only true with the clerks I seem to run across.

You know what, though? I'd better not even get started on this and take it where I had intended to, because I can feel the steam starting to form around my collar already. I think I'll just leave it right here.

• La Capra
  • La Capra
    La Capra

In general the city run agencies respond most to threats to go to a city council meeting where you will tell the council during public comment (do you have that in your state?-pubic comment and open meeting laws) Just what your complaint is. I used to regularly attend school board meetings and the parents that got what they wanedt from the administrators did just that. They wrote up a little speech WITHOUT the offending individual's name in it, but also brought a written copy of their complaint with the name of the employee they wanted rag about, that the the city manager (or his clerk) will take off your hands. If it is the clerk, everyone in the town hall will hear about who was complained about at the council meeting. Don't forget to mention that you are a voter, they represent you, and that you are in the power to vote them out. People who are in cutomer service (even if they have a monopoly) shouldn't have the right to lie about actions taken jsut to shut people up. I hate the whole ater thing myself. My next door neighbors use five times the amount of water as I do and their bill is only ten percent more. Shoshana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit