Jury Awards $100K To Family Of Jehovah's Witness Who Died After Refusing Blood Transfusion

by Bangalore 12 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Bangalore
  • DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

I can't open the link, but I believe this is the case of a woman who hemorrhaged after childbirth. The award had to do with the fact that the medical team delayed emergency surgery because of the stand on transfusions rather than do the emergency surgery BEFORE her blood count was so low.

Often too, an insurance company will "take the hit" on a "small" payout rather than risk what an emotional jury might award. While $100,000 is a lot of money to the typical individual, it is not a large amount when compared to the legal fees of fighting a jury trial. I would think the insurance company decided to settle and end their potential risk of higher damages and the cost of a lengthy, expensive trial.

Doc

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

This is why is so important to do one's homework finding hospitals and doctors that respect the JW stance and treat accordingly prior to facing an emergency.

The team of JWs that take care of finding hospitals and physicians which accommodate the bloodless belief do a great job in this regard here in the USA.

The money awarded is not nearly enough. I would've gone for millions.

DY

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    DY: This is why is so important to do one's homework finding hospitals and doctors that respect the JW stance and treat accordingly prior to facing an emergency.
    The team of JWs that take care of finding hospitals and physicians which accommodate the bloodless belief do a great job in this regard here in the USA.
    The money awarded is not nearly enough. I would've gone for millions.

Oh for Gawd's Sake. Do your homework. Your post is a propaganda fueled statement that comes from a position of ignorance.

The hospital and the blood management team who treated this women were JWs.

Check it out.

Atlanta Medical Center.

Atlanta Medical Center is a hospital in Atlanta, Georgia operated by Tenet Healthcare. It has 460 beds and over 700 physicians, a Level I trauma center, a Level III neonatal unit, and supports air ambulance service via heliport.

Be sure to read the reviews of Atlanta Medical Center.

Atlanta Medical Center operates a Bloodless Medicine and Surgery Unit.

To ensure the best experience possible for every patient, Atlanta Medical Center provides a full-time program administrator to assist patients and their families throughout the consultation, admission and procedure process with:
    Physician referral
    Assistance with outpatient services
    Scheduling
    Family member accommodations
    The program administrator, Brenda Depena-Gray, is intimately familiar with the religious issues involved in bloodless medicine. As program coordinator for Atlanta Medical Center’s Bloodless Medicine & Surgery program, her goal is to ensure that each individual’s decision to participate in a bloodless medicine procedure is both understood and respected. To facilitate this, she is personally engaged with the patient and his or her surgeon. Brenda’s personal interactions help healthcare professionals involved in the care of that patient to better understand the individual’s needs and expectations during treatment.

Brenda Depena Gray BS,BSN,RN

- worked for United Airlines from 1983 - 2011 (customer service and airport operation)

- in 2011, Brenda magically transformed herself from a customer service rep at an airport into ... a Registered Nurse who, in June 2010 (while still booking flights at the airport), became theDirector of Bloodless Medicine and Surgery Program at the Atlanta Medical Center.

Brenda's Volunteer Experience & Causes:

- Pioneer - JW.org

Brenda claims the following as her education - (I am not sure when she fit all that in - if it was in between her airport experience and pioneeering....not sure how that worked out...)

Clayton State University
    BSN, Registered Nursing, Nursing Administration, Nursing Research and Clinical Nursing
    Howard University
    Bachelor of Science (BS), Human Biology

So...that is who is the director of the Bloodless Unit at Atlanta Medical Center - a Jehovah Witness woman who somehow gained registered nursing education and experience in between booking flights at the airport and door knocking.

Let's take a look at Tenet Healthcare that operates Atlanta Medical Clinic.

Tenet Healthcare employs a special Blood Conservation Program Coordinator;

Hired to create, oversee, and market the Blood Conservation Program. Blood utilization was reduced and the patient population increased as a result of the program.

And...who is this special guy? the one who claims this on his professional profile? :

Accomplishments:

Managed Program at two hospital campuses
    Developed Policies and Procedures
    Created new patient forms
    Wrote marketing brochures
    Established Anemia Clinic
    Facilitated contract with Jehovah's Witnesses Headquarters
    Featured on Channel 10's Health Beat report

Edward Blakeney.

I have talked about this guy before. He came up the ranks of the bloodless cult through the Hospital Liaison Network.

He is the dude who "Created a database company specializing in improving patient outcomes and lowering blood utilization cost. Company was acquired by Haemonetics in 2007. Traveled extensively in US to meet with hospital administrators regarding better blood utilization..."

And that....is who controls the bloodless medicine unit at Atlanta Medical Center.

Watchtower trained people. The same Watchtower that told that woman to not take blood in the first place.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Regardless, the hospital/doctors were found at fault.

To make it worthy, I would have gone for millions.

DY

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    DY: Regardless...

Yeah...regardless of your inaccurate and knee jerk reaction....

• Giordano
    Giordano

This is why is so important to do one's homework finding hospitals and doctors that respect the JW stance.........

Got to take exception....this is why a JW needs to do one's homework about the corrupt WTBTS and it's terrible doctrine about blood. They never understood that a transfusion is not about eating blood.

They WT never understood or didn't give a damn that many many surgeries could not be preformed from 1945 until 2000 even to this day without using or having a life saving blood transfusion at the ready.

It's the nastiest chapter in the 'truth' that isn't.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Relax. They waited too long to administer proper treatment. Now, it is 'pay $$$' time.

Saddly, it is such a ridiculously small amount. There might not even be enough $$$ left to donate back to the WTBTS! 🤔 (Sarcasm)

Listen, this is a risk we JWs face. Good thing the courts can intervene in the case of minors, but we adults know and accept the danger. After all, there will be a resurrection, right?!

Relax.

DY

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Relax??

Don't be condescending.

You had a standard, pre-programmed response to the OP that stated an inaccurate opinion and painted the JW's "hospital support system" as being superior. It isn't.

I think you should be the one who relaxes.

• TheListener
    TheListener

I guess I don't get it. The person wanted bloodless surgery, got bloodless surgery and died. Why is anyone owing the family money?

And since when do JWs control bloodless surgery units right in the hospitals themselves?

I thought witnesses were unlettered and ordinary. At least that's what I was told when I wanted to go to college.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit