A perfect world

by wasone 5 Replies latest jw friends

• wasone
    wasone

The movie. Have you seen it? It's not new or anything. Released in 1993. I only recently saw on streaming channel AXIS tv. It stars Kevin Castner (Butch) as an escaped convict who befriends a young Witness boy( Philip) who he has taken hostage. Costar Clint Eastwood (Red) plays a Texas Ranger in hot pursuit. Eastwood also directed the movie.

An interesting thing to me about the movie is how in my opinion it accurately depicts the messed up life of the young witness boy in the1960s without portraying his mom as a religious nut so much.

With the screenwriter's insight into the subject, it causes me to wonder if he has first-hand knowledge of the religion.

Did you like the movie? What are your thoughts?

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

As I recall there were several glaring inaccuracies that anyone around JWs would know better than to include. I forget if it was belief in hell or something else. I think the idea was to it just be a 'devout' religion and they eenie-meenie-minie-moed on Jehovah's Witnesses, and thought the story was more important than technical accuracy.

• wasone
    wasone

Sorry I evidently missed those glaring inaccuracies about the JW world. What impressed me was how spot on the movie depicted the Jw imposed isolation of the kid from his peers and how he had been denied pretty much everything that makes childhood fun. Here's a link to the movie if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1mV2dxBvMk

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

I liked that movie.
    For the most part they did a good job of portraying what a "J.W. kid" misses out on such as birthday parties celebrating any/all holidays and basically showing what a isolated life so many that grow up as witnesses have/had to deal with.
    There were definitely parts in it that anyone that was raised J.W. would relate to.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I do remember seeing it , some years back.. I also recall once ,nearer the time, when the film came in conversation with some dubs. They looked at us shocked, and said that they would not watch it!

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I remember seeing that movie many years ago There were not many movies that made reference to the JW`s back then but there have been a few.

Another movie ,i think it was a foreign one ,a crime movie ,they needed an excuse to knock on this door to gain access so they were given WT Mags as an excuse .

I cant remember what movie it was though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit