What Are We Now?

by David_Jay 4 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

How do we rate after leaving the Watchtower? Are we very different people after we have walked out our last meeting at the Kingdom Hall? Or are we essentially a "Mad-Lib" version of what we claim we once were, that we have merely "filled in the blanks" with our latest set of convictions and still think we have the truth, are right and others wrong, and feel we must promote our new "truth"?

While admittedly it is far easier to remove the man from the Watchtower than the Watchtower from the man, often we might not notice where some stray things have carried over. Here are a list of questions I have asked myself from time to time to test myself and see where I need to improve. Add some of your own that have helped you, or see how well you are doing compared to the list that grows from here.

1. Does my use of critical thinking come from learning the concept in a situation that can validate I really know it and use it correctly (i.e., college, other similar learning outlet) or is it mostly from things I read on the Internet, magazines, TV, etc.?

2. Does my rejection (or acceptance) of religion come from learning what various theologies really think and accept, or am I coming to conclusions based on my limited Watchtower experience, my emotions, or a combination thereof?

3. Have I set fail-safes in my life to keep me from deluding myself? What are they? How are they ensured to be reliable?

4. Am I always finding myself in the center of conflict? Why? Do smart people really spend time being in conflict and arguing about what they believe and think is true? Is it healthy? Do I achieve, accomplish, and perform more than argue? Do I achieve, accomplish, and perform in line with and better than my arguments?

5. Do I remember that I, myself, once thought I had the inarguable truth as one of Jehovah's Witnesses? Do I still fall into this trap? Do I always remember that I don't have a good track record when it comes to being right because of this?

6. Do I accept or reject things more on emotion or more on logic? How do I verify my answer to this question?

7. Do I still have an "us-against-them" mentality?

8. Do I make the mistake of the "fallacy fallacy" when I do have to argue a point?

9. Am I always right? Don't I allow myself to be wrong?

10. Have I come to stop caring about what Jehovah's Witnesses believe?

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I'm still a critical thinker who strives to acquire any information on a unbiased open platform.

When your a devout JWS who are given mental instructions in how to think and what to do upon a structured controlled framework of thought.

Having an open balanced reception from any incoming information, balances oneself mentally and psychologically, as well intellectually matures oneself

Being adhered to a rigidly enforced structure of knowledge and information as what purports out of organized religious institutions makes one complacently off balanced and crippled by prevailing ignorance

• kaik
    kaik
    I do not care about religion and faith. I do not have a need to ridicule and disprove anyone faith and religion as many ex-JW do. Whatever people believe, it is their business, but I will oppose anyone who will try impose religious conviction upon me.
  • Pistoff
    Pistoff

These are great questions.

It helped me a great deal to read as much as I could about early Christianity, historical and textual criticism of the bible, and a few university courses online.

I have let go of the idea that all my ideas are or have to be right.

• Alive!
    Alive!

I should print off these questions and keep them handy to me :-)

5. Do I remember that I, myself, once thought I had the inarguable truth as one of Jehovah's Witnesses? Do I still fall into this trap? Do I always remember that I don't have a good track record when it comes to being right because of this?

I had an Interesting conversation with a pioneer JW friend this week ( hadn't seen her for couple of years - she dropped by and I offered coffee etc)

She was talking about how Jehovah had taken care of her and I gave her a hug, as she certainly has not had it easy - I started talking about a close family member ( non JW) who has been through many trials but is absolutely 'nailing' those obstacles and thriving, she became a Christian a few years ago - and I related, in a warm way how this relative had recently said how appreciative she was for blessings in her life, how she felt that in all her struggles, God gave her spiritual strength to overcome and do what seemed impossible.

The pioneer sister said 'what a great opportunity - did you give her a witness?'

No. I didn't.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit