inquiring mind has 3 questions

by OutsiderLookingIn 23 Replies latest jw experiences

• Half banana
    Half banana

As a JW, I was a window cleaner, there can be nothing wrong in principle doing an honest job as a cleaner.

Any condemnation that arose was when the JW organisation a year or two back tried to make out that its members were "ordinary people like doctors and lawyers". They are indeed ordinary but not as a rule in the professions. Of course one or two are but the vast majority of JWs are curbed by their cult-driven avoidance of higher education and often have to do more menial work.

This is a key to understanding Watchtower culture; higher education would mean exposing the individual to a use of critical analysis which would result in them awakening to their preposterous claims and methods. So parents heroically deprive their kids of worldly success by limiting their schooling.

Second, people on the lowest rung of the social ladder are dependents. In the case of JWs they depend on the JWorg for all advice, information and instruction on everything. This is how the cult leadership prefers it and to cap it all, there are measures in place to prevent members leaving by the use of emotional blackmail by family and social shunning.

Great religion hey?

• talesin
    talesin
    Good point, DJS, and when you combine shunning with no education, the question "where would I go?" creates even more anxiety. In my experience, many JWS are involved in family or other collaborative businesses (construction & cleaning being the two big ones around here). With little or no real world experience, and young mouths to feed, it could be quite frightening.
  • Alive!
    Alive!

The JW women of my age group were mainly cleaners, office clerks or non qualified care assistants.

My husband's non witness family are Christians, their professions and that of their Christian friends are high in number as doctors, nurses, teachers - I found the same when I attended a local baptist church.

Gggggrrrrrrr - Those wicked, wicked members of Christendom choosing life giving professions, working long hours to serve the community, including JWs, who basically believe these people are 'under Satan's rule'

Fine - in that case, JW cleaner/pioneer - do NOT avail yourself or your loved ones of their qualified services when you are sick, needing intense life saving, money costing care....what have you to do with Satan's world?

• talesin
    talesin
    do NOT avail yourself or your loved ones of their qualified services when you are sick, needing intense life saving, money costing care....what have you to do with Satan's world?

Alive! I hear you. It can tear you apart, being shunned and asked for help at the same time. It's like being in a maze. Welcome to CrazyJW-World. xx tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit