Puritans, perfectionists, psychopaths, and those who lie to spread THE TRUTH

by TerryWalstrom 7 Replies latest jw friends

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom
    Purists aren't above-it-all, although they certainly think they are.

Do you know why Puritans were kicked out of England?
    Persecution you say? Hahaha. That's what THEY called it.
    It was competition.
    Whose was the PURER religion--Catholics (who burned heretics at the stake) or Protestants (who'd hang a woman for not going to church on the Sabbath)?
    Perfectionism is at best a neurosis. At worst it is murderous and tyrannical.
    Now, this isn't a religious rant. No no no.
    This is about obsessive compulsions and urges to be a PURIST about damn near ANYthing at all.

We have different names for different kinds of perfectionists.
    Suffice it to say, anybody in any group who INSISTS that you say or do things THE RIGHT WAY is Puritan. Oh, and they will threaten you if you do not comply! That's key.

Ever have lunch with a Vegan? That's a clash of civilizations right there at the dinner table.
    Ever watch a Trump supporter and a Liberal HIllary voter try to discuss ANYthing? That's the Crusades.

When it comes to WORDs, I confess to being a Puritan.
    I'm way too keen on proper pronunciation, definitions, spelling and all the rest. I'm imperfect in my perfectionism. I like tossing slang into a properly worded paragraph for flavor.

I once was a religious fanatic. Reformed, of course.
    That is a scar that never heals.

I've lived through a lot of history. 7 decades, in fact.
    I see the hatred between cousins and kindred groups around the world. Arabs and Jews and Palestinians, North Koreans and South Koreans, Muslims and cartoonists, Blacks and police, Chinese and Japanese, Japanese and Korean, Liberals and Republicans, Country and Western and Rock, Trump and the Media, and on and on....

IT'S ALL PURITANS!
    A quest for purity: I'm right and you are wrong.
    Do things MY way or I'll force you to see things my way!

Puritans will LIE to convince you they are right and the opposers are wrong. Yes: Lie! It is for a good cause, you see. The cause is called "THE TRUTH." Ironic?

Puritans are dangerous no matter which side they are on.
    That's right.
    Puritans ridicule opponents and dehumanize them.
    Puritans marginalize and denounce disagreeable sorts.

Adolf Hi*ler was obsessed with the purification of the German people. A population agreed with him and another population was expunged.

Here is the bottom line, listen up and pay attention, please.

When you ridicule your opponents and see them as beneath your contempt; when you are convinced YOU are on the right side of an argument, you are potentially the most destructive force on this earth right now.
    Why?
    The hunger to PURIFY is a malevolent--not a beautiful--psychosis.

What is the cure? THERE IS NONE!
    You'll never get a Puritan to respect the foe.
    RESPECT for others is the medicine which heals but
    respect is out of the question.

Think about that today when you sneer at somebody or something you know is wrong.

If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Signed,
    A Puritan

Engraving: PURITANS: PUNISHMENT, 1651. The whipping of Baptist minister Obadiah Holmes at Boston in 1651 for holding an unauthorized religious meeting
    _______________ PURITANS: PUNISHMENT, 1651. 
The whipping of Baptist minister Obadiah Holmes at Boston in 1651 for holding an unauthorized religious meeting at Lynn, Massachusetts. Wood engraving, American, c1878, after Charles Stanley Reinhart.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Well said.

Once again, for the newbies, lurkers, and trolls...

...if you have to cheat to defend your beliefs, your beliefs don't deserve to be defended.

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

Famous quote " We call it lying for the Truth"

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

Puritans are eager for "justice" rather than mercy and forgiveness.
    I think it is a glimpse into a common character flaw.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Puritanism equates toward sanctimonious righteous vindication and JWS have that in spades.

There is fair amount of instilled brainwashing/indoctrination to reach that level and the WTS devised techniques to accomplish this level of righteous identifying purity.

• VIII
    VIII

Very well said.

I have turned off the news. I have turned off the Facebook pages of people who are only posting political rhetoric. I simply will not engage in that.

There is enough to talk about regarding life and the things around us (our families, neighborhoods, recipes, things going on in your life, etc) without trying to convince others that we're "right" about any given issue. Heck, people on Facebook are brutal if you post a recipe that they don't agree with-how are you going to convince them that a particular political or religious theory is the only way?

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

What is that old saying my grandma used to say all the time?
    "A person convinced against their will is of the same opinion still."
    Everybody seems to forget you'll NEVER change anybody's mind--but--you will piss them off :)

• stillin
    stillin

Thanks, Terry. Balance is getting more and more rare these days.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit