7/16 OSB is selling for 60 bucks a sheet

by mickbobcat 9 Replies latest social current

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

So in my area OSB is up to 60 a sheet. This is BSC insane. From 10 to 12 bucks a year ago. Thanks president house plant.

• Magnum
    Magnum

About 12 years ago, I got it for $5.97 a sheet at Home Depot. Then I thought it was expensive when it went up to between $7 and $8 per sheet. I looked online at Home Depot a couple of weeks ago, and saw it at $39.97/sheet (southeastern U.S.).

Absolutely insane. I can't even build animal houses now. I used to think nothing of running to Home Depot and grabbing some 2x4's and a few sheets of plywood, but not now.

• LV101
    LV101

It's beyond crazy -- few mos ago general contractors building mammoth sized homes here couldn't get all the building supplies together. Even plumbing items could not be located/purchased. Plus the severe labor shortage is pathetic.

• hoser
    hoser

It was 40 a few years back. I live where they make the stuff so it helps out our local economy

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

An 8 ft. 4X4 treated post that was about $10.00 not so long ago. . .now over $56.00 where I am. An 8 ft. 6X6 treated post? Not long ago was $28.00, now over $100.00.

As mickbobcat said, "Thanks president house plant."

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

I can remember when osb went from 4 to 19, can not remember why but it was back in the 90s if I remember correctly. Must have been the housing boom. It came back down but this is just insane. I had a steel 30x20 garage built because of the price of wood. Now steel is running up also.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Thanks, China Joe!

DD

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous
    Welcome to hyper inflation. Most people thought it would take Joe at least 2-3 years, he did it in 2-3 months. The best thing to do right now is spend your savings and borrow big.
  • Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

I've been reading business articles for several months now about lumber. Basically going from $200-400 a thousand board feet to $1600+ a 1000/bf. Georgia has 22 million acres of renewable lumber growth but the growers are not making any money, selling at the cheapest prices in years. The lumber mills are making a killing. One article stated that since the 2008 financial crisis lumber sales were sluggish. Now the 3 to 4 lumber mills in the U.S. are getting some payback.

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

While I agree that Joe's a houseplant, lol. I think this is trickle down from pandemic shortages (from skimming a few articles)

According to this quote it's gone up since April of last year. I don't think it's Joe's fault or Trump's for that matter

The National Association of Home Builders says lumber prices have increased more than 200% since April 2020. The “price per thousand board feet” surpassed $1,100 in mid-April, up from less than $500 in June of 2020, the NAHB reported based on data from Random Lengths.

Here is another cut and paste from a builders website:

Early on in 2020, when the pandemic was just starting to gain global publicity, lumber prices slumped. Starting in early March, and continuing on through mid-June, prices plummeted and held at a relatively low mark.

The initial slump was a product of the global shutdown in response to the novel Corona Virus outbreak. Construction operations in most locations were shut down, and lumber mills and other processing facilities were left with an excess supply of material. So, are you wondering what caused lumber to increase from roughly $250 per 1000 board feet to over $850 per 1000 board feet?

We’ve seen some of the lowest interest rates in recent history over the past few months in the US as a response to the fragility in the economy.

Low-interest rates for both home mortgages and new construction financing led to a boom in the building and remodeling industries when businesses opened their doors in June.

The boom in the building/remodeling industries turned the tables on the lumber industry. Mills and other processing facilities went from having an excess supply of wood to a shortfall in what seemed like a moment’s notice.

Ultimately, as the demand for lumber continued to increase over the past few months, supply has not been able to catch up, resulting in an increase in lumber’s cost by 340% or more in particular locations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit