Confusing Opinions with Facts

by cofty 71 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

As for the possible (non)existence of any gods: we'll presume innocence until proven guilty. Thus, until any gods' existence is proven at least somewhat beyond reasonable doubt, we must assume there are none.

I believe that I have shown. that truth does change because it cannot be proven. It continues to exist as truth believe it or not and free from any evidence.

• Anders Andersen
    Anders Andersen
    I believe that I have shown. that truth does [not] change because it cannot be proven. It continues to exist as truth believe it or not and free from any evidence.

[Not] added by me as I think that's what you meant to say?

I have not disagreed with the premise that truth is true regardless of our observations, opinions and emotions.

However, what good is a truth that cannot be observed? That truth might just as well not exist, or not be true at all.

A truth that cannot be discovered, proven or even observed is, for all intents and purposes, not true.

How do we verify the correctness of something claimed as truth?

With regards to the existence of gods, many truths have been and are claimed to exist. These claimed truths contradict each other, and obviously they can't all be true.

As long as nobody presents any decent evidence that their claim to know the truth about he existence of gods is actually true, it might just as well not be true.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I can respect it is your opinion that there is a clear distinction between opinions and facts. However some of the leading thinkers of the last century have tended to argue otherwise, such as Quine: "no statement is immune to revision".

You can't say that you allow evidence to shape your views, and yet also say that no evidence will ever make you disbelieve a certain fact. You can't have it both ways.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hold_come_what_may

• TheListener
    TheListener

Thanks Cofty. In all seriousness I know very little of evolution or abiogenesis but I found the small amount of reading I did really informative.

I always thought evolution included the whole concept of nothingness to us. I didn't realize that there was a study of something called abiogenesis, which can overlap evolution but can be very separate as well. Very very interesting (hence the mind blown part).

No sarcasm intended at all. My first post was a poor attempt at humor as opposed to sarcasm.

• cofty
    cofty

Hi TheListener. I'm glad you are enjoying the discussion. See the links at the end of this OP for 37 short articles...

I think I will post a thread on abiogenesis soon. Creationists like to give the impression that science is stumped by the origin of life question. Nothing could be further from the truth. There are some fascinating hypotheses that look promising.

I am sure it will be resolved in the foreseeable future and then creationists will only want to talk about cosmic origins.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

"It's like years ago a man could say I'm not the father of that child. Today DNA could PROVE that he is the father."

Thank you for making my point on what is "provable" or what is a "fact". The logic your statement is false. With DNA testing you can prove someone is NOT the Father. However you can not definitively prove that he IS the Father. Yes you can show it extremely likely. You can even come up with odds that are Billions to one that he is the father.

However in my mind saying something is extremely likely and calling something a "fact" is very different. Maybe I am just too picky on my use of the English language. LOL

• cofty
    cofty
    you can not definitively prove that he IS the Father. Yes you can show it extremely likely. You can even come up with odds that are Billions to one that he is the father.

Ridiculous semantics.

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Something being incredibly likely=/=fact.

Ridiculous Semantics? I just thought it was applied logic.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

SBF: I cannot say that I (always) agree with you opinions but I must confess that not only do I enjoy your posts but it is my opinion that your posts on each thread always enrich the discussion by adding substance, dimension, perspective and depth to it. It is also my opinion that the information that you post is worth reading and contributes to the educational value of this Forum.Thank you.-Fisherman

• TheLiberator
    TheLiberator

Fisherman: " I must confess that not only do I enjoy your posts but it is my opinion that your posts on each thread always enrich the discussion by adding substance, dimension, perspective and depth to it. It is also my opinion that the information that you post is worth reading and contributes to the educational value of this Forum."

I couldn't of said it better. 👍

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit