Bible Students and Christ's presence

by Noumenon 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Noumenon
    Noumenon

Am I correct in understanding that the religious group known as The Bible Students, who still hold to Charle's Russell's teachings, still actually belief and officially subsribe to the notion that Christ invisibly returned in 1874? Can anyone confirm this?

If this is correct, I feel this is a glimpse of how the WTS will never drop 1914. What may happen is there may eventually be a split, probably shortly after 2014, with a new group dropping 1914 and revisiting all prophecies with fresh interpretations, while Jehovah's Witnesses will remain with those still dogmatically sticking to 1914, much like The Bible Students group still hold to 1874.

• mizpah
    mizpah

Neumenon:

That is my understanding. Some of these groups still use the Studies in the Scriptures as basis for their Bible Studies. There is one group in Florida that still sends me a newsletter every now and again. But I can't think of the name of the group at this time. They call Russell "that servant." I think it has reference to the "faithful and wise servant" of Matthew. This title was, of course, the one that Russell's wife conferred upon him. By the way, did you know that Maria Russell co-authored the Studies series with Charles? (Apocalypse Delayed by Penton)

If I get another newsletter, I will let you know the name of the group and their location. And if you are interested, you can write them to confirm the above.

• mizpah
    mizpah

Neumenon:

I've been rereading Penton's Apocalypse Delayed. Another group that may also be using Russell's work as a text book is the Dawn Bible Students. As you might recall, the Studies in the Scriptures was also called the Millennial Dawn Series. But I'm not positive. I do know that this group existed in the 1950s. Does anyone else have any information on this group?

• Noumenon
    Noumenon

Much thanks. The Dawn Bible Students are probably the group. I seem to recall reading comments from someone on this site who said they belonged to them (probably more than one?). I will have to see if any such group have a website and whether it talks about when they believe Christ's parousia began, or begins. If they hold so closely to Russell's early teachings I would say they still cling to 1874, believe it or not.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit