My Millions book got a bad review. I wonder if the guy is a JW?

by punkofnice 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• talesin
    talesin

Vidiot - anger = fear and / or pain ; rants are usually inspired by a wound that is being poked, and very human. Especially when the person ranting feels misjudged, or knows they are wrong and are using bluster as a deflection of their insecurities about their beliefs or perceptions of unfair treatment.

But hell to the yeah, use spell check if you want your rant to be read. :P

• GodZoo
    GodZoo

Just curious.. does anyone who does not give a stella review any book written by an ex-jw have to get slated and insulted in here? Is it really that important? Have people not learned to manage rejection and non-acceptance still?

One does not also need to have had to pay for something in order to be able to review it. I have reviewed a ton of books and products that I did not buy.. ie: was given, borrowed or found.

What is it with this?:

• You did not pay me so your opinion is invalid
    • You did not say nice things so your opinion is invalid.
    • My friends and I will now pick you to pieces and insult and deride you publicly on an ex-jw forum.

Why not simply just ignore it? It's not like they boiled a baby in oil..

A world with just one viewpoint would be such a boring place.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    my review is up Punky
  • Harvard Illiterate 411
    Harvard Illiterate 411
    Sounds like fundie of some wacko religion and probably a Mittens Magic Undies Romney supporter.
  • steve2
    steve2

Here's the comment on the review I have posted on Amazon.com:

"I am astonished that, to date, the single bad review for this excellent insight into jw org has been written by an individual, Mr Thomas Carr, who appears not to have even bothered to read Paul Jackson's well researched book. If Mr Carr had read the book, rather than engage in a torrent of uninformed verbal abuse, he would have food for thought about the dubious methods used by some religious groups.

"I remember one of the Jehovah's Witnesses' publications from the 1960s, the "Truth" book. It invited readers to scrutinze their religious beliefs, reasoning that if their beliefs were true they had nothing to fear from scrutinizing them, but if those beliefs were false, they owed it to themselves to find out rather than to remain misled. This encouragement to scrutinize religious beliefs was directed at people in all other religions, but NOT to Jehovah's Witnesses. Funny that.

"So, Mr Carr, you owe it to yourself to scrutinze your religious beliefs for, to paraphrase one of JWs own publications, if your beliefs are true, you have nothing to fear. But to resort to knee-jerk attacking of a book without even first reading it, is not the response of someone who is confident they have the truth but instead of fearing perhaps they do not." GodZoo wrote: Just curious.. does anyone who does not give a stella review any book written by an ex-jw have to get slated and insulted in here? Is it really that important? Have people not learned to manage rejection and non-acceptance still? Reasonable point. Who said criticizing a review has anything to do with 'managing rejection and non-acceptance'? Even the OP acknowledge there would inevitably be negative reviews. The chief point was the "reviewer" did not appear to have even read the book - so it calls into question whether it even was a "review". Besides, it's that sound distinction between constructive criticism - which furthers discussion and learning - and evident automatic condemnation. Note that the "reviewer" cites not one single statement from the book but trundles out the usual labels. Long may we develop greater acceptance of c onstructive criticism - whether by JWs, ex-JWs or anyone else. But equally, may we have the confidence and clarity of thought to identify and name shoddy thinking!
  • GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

If I were to read the reviews in the service of making a decision about the purchase of a book, I would consider the sentiments in aggregate and likely wouldn't be swayed by the odd review that stands in contrast to the majority.

In other words, I think it's safe to ignore that review. It likely won't sway anyone's opinion.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

My Millions book got a bad review. I wonder if the guy is a JW?

By
    Thomas Carr
    This review is from: Millions Now Living (Kindle Edition)
    slander of others religions is worse than Trump.
    instead of being ignorant read the bible and get the answers. you are not worshiping people you should weork towards woirshiping God. you learn about God by reading the bible not destroying freedom of religion. people that are afraid oif what they dont know becomes example of Hitler. be wise research and read the bible. have love for everyone.

Took Offense to Anything Negative about the WBT$.....Bad Spelling.....Evoked Godwins Law..

There`s "high probability" he`s a JW.......LOL!!..

• GodZoo
    GodZoo
    Fair points Steve but I just don't see the point of getting so riled about it.
  • steve2
    steve2

Okay GodZoo - I may have missed something, but I thought the OP and subsequent responses weren't that 'riled up' and conveyed reasonable points about the content of the "review". THough it is possible you and me have different defintions of what 'riled up' is.

Here's the OP's sole comments after p[osting the review - riled up? I don't think so:

....or a grump from here?

Anyway, I expect crtisism...but this is NOT a 'verified purchase' review, so I am suspicious.

• talesin
    talesin

GodZoo, I get your point in a general way, but looking at this specific review, and its irrational, disconnected spewing of hate, it seems to me that it's most likely what Punk suspects. It's neither constructive nor is it artistic criticism. It is more like hate speech.

I've had many people like my sculptures, and sold 100++. Not everyone loves them, that is true. If someone said my sculptures looked like something you could buy at the $$ store, manufactured by the thousands, and were poorly crafted, copies of XXX artist, I just *might* feel the need to vent.

Especially if I suspected *that* person was the failed artist, that couldn't pay people to take his work, who would do / say anything to put me down. (edit, and it's very hurtful)

That's my take on Punky's rant.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit