Study Watchtower August 2019 - Be patient and Stop judging people

by Listener 9 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Listener
    Listener

In this latest magazine is another mixed message to JWs. I don't know how they can keep up with it all.

This is the whole paragraph, italics and bolding are mine -

10 Be patient. When we conform our life to God’s standards, our relatives may find it difficult to adjust to our new beliefs and lifestyle. Often, the first thing they notice is that we no longer join with them in celebrating religious festivals and no longer engage in political activities. Some relatives might initially be angry with us. (Matt. 10:35, 36) But we should not give up on them. If we stop trying to help them understand our beliefs, we have, in effect, judged them as being unworthy of gaining everlasting life. Jehovah has not given us the job of judging—he has assigned that task to Jesus. (John 5:22) If we are patient, our relatives may eventually be willing to listen to our message.—See the box “Use Our Website to Teach.”
    • This means that we should zealously look for all those who are “rightly disposed for everlasting life” and help them to start serving Jehovah.​—Read Acts 13:44-48.
      • ws18 October pp. 9-15 - The Watchtower (Simplified)—2018

Our goal is to make disciples of people who are honest, humble, and spiritually hungry​—people who are “rightly disposed for everlasting life.”​—Acts 13:48; Matt. 28:19, 20. w18 October Study Edition

Sorry, I had a posting issue and the last two quotes are quotes from a previous magazine and excuses that JWs will sometimes give for not discussing bible doctrine with ex JWs or some others. They will stop a conversation by claiming the individual is not 'rightly disposed' or has ulterior motives or only want to argue. Some will even go as far as judging a person by saying they do not want to 'throw pearls before swine'.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

They consider most ex jw's as a part of Satan's crowd and therefore beyond help. Naive relatives however, are fair game and the WT encourages JW's to try to convert them.

Several years ago the WT warned the regular JW's not to call people "goats" if they didn't take the magazines. But the reason they do judge people is because they have been taught to by the WT itself.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

LISTENER:

This is hilarious. Articles like this won’t matter. It’s like telling water not to be wet.

The whole culture of the Witness religion is based on judgmentalism and labels and titles and snitches and tattletales. It’s not going to change.

I’m just glad I’m not a masochist still sitting there subjecting myself to this nonsense.

• blondie
    blondie

Yes, I just read that yesterday and put a big laughing face in the margin. They WTS is notorious for saying but not doing. Actions speak louder than words. Or as their leader said about his religious leaders:

Matthew 23:3

3 Therefore all the things they tell+ YOU, do and observe, but do not do according to their deeds,+ for they say but do not perform.

Here the WTS applies this to parents, never to themselves.

Jesus set the example for parents in that he practiced what he preached. (John 13:15) On the other hand, he condemned the Pharisees, who would “say” but “not perform.” (Matthew 23:3) In order to motivate their children to love Jehovah, the parents’ words and actions must work together. Words that are not backed up by actions are just as ineffective as a bow without a bowstring.​—1 John 3:18.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2007646?q=matthew+23%3A3&p=sen

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Judging someone unworthy of salvation because they will not fall for the scam? What about judging someone unworthy because "it has been determined [by who?] that you could have done more field circus that day"? What about someone that listens to music that someone else deems "bad"? Or someone that will not quit a job just so they can do a two week Israel mission? I think they have a serious problem judging people because they didn't do the maximum.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

They need to make a serious application of Jesus words about not judging others and do away with their kangaroo secret inhouse courts were they judge people and disfellowship them for not following their rules.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

It is really a serious matter of compartmentalization that the writers of the Watchtower got going on when is comes to how they applying Jesus words because the WT organization seems to be one of the worst offenders when it comes to judging people.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compartmentalization_(psychology)

Psychoanalysis considers that whereas isolation separates thoughts from feeling, compartmentalization separates different (incompatible) cognitions from each other.[2] As a secondary, intellectual defense, it may be linked to rationalization.[3] It is also related to the phenomenon of neurotic typing, whereby everything must be classified into mutually exclusive and watertight categories.[4]
    Otto Kernberg has used the term "bridging interventions" for the therapist's attempts to straddle and contain contradictory and compartmentalized components of the patient's mind.[5]

Vulnerability[edit]

Compartmentalization may lead to hidden vulnerabilities in those who use it as a major defense mechanism.[6]
    Those suffering from borderline personality disorder will often divide people into all good versus all bad, to avoid the conflicts removing the compartments would inevitably bring, using denial or indifference to protect against any indications of contradictory evidence.[7]
    Using indifference towards a better viewpoint is a normal and common example of this. It can be caused by someone having used multiple compartment ideals and having been uncomfortable with modifying them, at risk of being found incorrect. This often causes double-standards, and bias.[citation needed]
  • LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

I think anyone who is reasonably intelligent, say, from the 5th grade on, would recognize that, just because you have decided to end any further discussions regarding your religion to a family member, would not mean that you have then judged them as "unworthy of gaining everlasting life"!

Good grief! Can we all just take a step back and give folks the benefit of the doubt? Damn!

Maybe the in-laws just don't want to hear it. That's all. Talk about the weather, or president Trump for crying out loud, but to say that your decision to cease discussion about religion means that you have judged them is revealing to what the GB thinks. That is, that they don't think. But when they do, they f&ck it up!

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

These writers for the WT are pathetic shit heads with minds all fucked up with compartmentalization.

• zeb
    zeb

Judgemental Phew!

I remember the overseer who attended the cong and in his last address spoke about those who have

"a hyperactive conscience"..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit