Has anyone noticed the JW movies are trying to normalise their lifestyle?

by truthseeker 30 Replies latest jw friends

• TheListener
    TheListener
    The movies make it appear that being a witness is much like being any other Christian religion, except that "we" are the right religion. And they make it appear that being a witness is almost a secondary part of the characters lives; when we know that being a witness consumes all aspects of your life.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

Typical bait-and-switch evangelism.

x

Like I keep saying, though...

...if you have to cheat to defend your beliefs, they don't deserve to be defended.

• Nitty-Gritty
    Nitty-Gritty

@ toesup,

I think the "normal" things under discussion here were those that were evident in the movies. Not the kind of stuff you described.

@truthseeker You may not realize this, but these movies are not made up, they are actually based on real life events and real experiences of JWs. Zach and the other girl (I forget her name) are sitting together at the KH because they are actually married (they eloped) and when Zach and Liz talk, they are not alone, they are in a coffee shop. When Liz says she wants to take a few classes, that does not mean what you think, she minimizes going into detail because this was not the focus of that particular setting, and in America, you can take classes online, in your own time, at home.... especially for certificate programs.

And if I may mention again, these movies are not for the general public, they are for JWs, therefor any suggested intention to "mislead" people on the outside, is not applicable.

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Instead, they give a false image of prosperity and upper-middle class luxury when we know the reality is that anybody who swallows the whole Witness thing is on the fast track to POVERTY....Yes, to live the upper-middle class life portrayed, a person needs college and professional training AND career OR a successful business!

The only witnesses I knew that live a comfortable life style were the ones that gain the education or wealth before they became witnesses. Most of the born in witnesses I knew had menial type jobs and were living pay check to pay check.

• fulano
    fulano
    @Nitty-Gritty, what do you mean , these movies are not made up? Are they documentaries or something? Please....They are as fake as all the stories at the conventions we used to hear and see (or maybe not) after the biblical drama's.
  • smiddy
    smiddy

So Jehovah`s Witnesses are trying to project themselves as just another normal Christian Religion ?

Another mainstream Religion ? I don`t think so .

It wouldn`t wash., They do not want to be classed in with the other 45,000 Christian Religions in the world today.Most of which all claim to be "The Truth " apart from any other group .

Nitty -Gritty

You are right these movies are not for the general public , they are for J.W`s and interested persons only.

" In America you can take classes on line in your own time at home , especially for Certificate `s."

So the J.W. response is , why put your Christian life in jeparday by going to higher education`s institutions when you can get it on-line.in your own home.

smiddy

• nevaagain
    nevaagain

when we watch those movies, we always make fun of really how unreal the settings are.

in regards to the prodigal son movie, i think they made it look like, the son had everything at home and was financially well off so it wouldnt make sense for him better yet, it was dumb of him, to leave. obviously in the mind of the WT the better option would had been to set spiritual goals and just live of their parents money, since they offered it to him anyway. but what they dont explain is, that probably his parents didnt have spiritual goals, thats how they obtained the house and the money in the first place.

also, just because you have a secular work, in town, doesnt mean that you will start to fornicate. of course the dangers from the WT perspective are there, but so are the dangers of fornication inside the congregation. i know tons of examples where baptised jws did it.

in our congregation we have the pioneers / MS / young elders who work part time and struggle to survive every month. we also have one elder, who just recently became an elder, after he sold his company and finally set aside some time to aux pioneer, until he worked his way up to first become an MS and then an elder. conviently he only aux pioneered until the CO came and he got the appointment.

what i mean is only the minority of the JWs can live a luxurious life and still pioneer! if they depeict the average joe jw who pioneers and struggles every month to meet ends meet in a movie, nobody would want to pioneer anymore!

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

All their videos are the same. Leave, you're screwed and nothing will go right. Stay in the org and everything will be wonderful and beautiful. All wrapped up with a pretty bow. And they lived happily ever after.

What do you expect from a bunch of men who have never been in the real world. So unrealistic!

• TheListener
    TheListener

Courting and being in a public place without a chaperone would be ok but you would have to arrive separately or if you went together you would need a chaperone for the trip and they could sit at a separate table.

Or if a witness worked at the public place you were visiting you could pick up your courtin' date and her father would know when she got picked up and the witness working at the public place could call the father to let him know the couple arrived (therefore no messin' around time on the way) and repeat the procedure when they leave (again, no messin' around time).

Sure sure that video was realistic......NOT

I know because I lived it more than once and from different perspectives. Stopping young people from touching each other's parts is a huge part of dub life.

• SonoftheTrinity
    SonoftheTrinity
    I wonder if doing a Space Theater 3000/Mock Directors Cut would be fun and then use the legal parody protection for all these awful movies. Have some annoying trash talking puppets talk over the whole thing, especially Sparlock the Warrior Wizard.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit