Subliminal Images in Watchtower Literature

by BornAgainGirl! 64 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BornAgainGirl!
    BornAgainGirl!

Hi all,

Subliminal images in Watchtower stuff:

http://watchtower.observer.org/apps/pbcs.dll/section?Category=SUBLIMINALIMAGES and there are many more than this.

What I want to know is - why? What purposes do these images serve? Are the artists JWs themselves? If so, are they directed to put these in there? Why does the WT deny their existance?

I think it's scary. Any thoughts, theories, etc.?

• rem
    rem

BAG,

This has been discussed many times. Many of these images are just in the eye of the beholder. Some of them do exist and are most probably just artists playing pranks. This is quite common in industry. There is no reason to believe the WT Society is commissioning these things. They deny that they exist because some of the pictures people claim exist really do not exist and they are embarassed about the others.

rem

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Since Jehovah is the editor of the Watchtower, it makes you wonder how these "pranks" were able to slip through. That's why the Society denies their existance.

• Swan
    Swan
    Since Jehovah is the editor of the Watchtower, it makes you wonder how these "pranks" were able to slip through.

It sure made me wonder. Then it made me doubt. The snowball started rolling downhill from there.

Tammy

• Swan
    Swan

Oh, and...

Welcome BornAgainGirl!

• mizpah
    mizpah

Rem:

I agree with you. People see things in clouds or in the patterns of wallpaper. It doesn't mean that the sources are from the devil. Even if the artist pulled a prank, it doesn't mean that it was done with the approval of the leaders of the Watchtower Society. There are enough legitimate faults in the organization without 'grasping at straws."

• Swan
    Swan

Mizpah,

I agree with you now in hindsight.

People see things in clouds or in the patterns of wallpaper. It doesn't mean that the sources are from the devil. Even if the artist pulled a prank, it doesn't mean that it was done with the approval of the leaders of the Watchtower Society. There are enough legitimate faults in the organization without 'grasping at straws."

But back in the early 1980's when I first encountered this, it was really earth-shattering. In the black and white world of JW thinking, the Watchtower was a letter from God. It was inspired. This demonic image before me appearing in the folds of an angel's robes was explained away as apostates that had infiltrated the Bethel art department.

Apostates back then were thought of as under demon control, so it was almost like Satan himself taking over the medium and Jehovah powerless to stop it, even though his Son was now ruling in the heavens! So was there no one in Bethel or the Governing Body with enough of Jehovah's Holy Spirit to catch this Apostate graffiti?

Others around me just accepted it and said "Oh, those evil apostates! Satan really has a hold of them in this time of the end." To me, however, it was inconceivable that Jehovah would let his holy words be desecrated. It gave me huge doubts. It was very shocking!

Tammy

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Strangely enough, as small as this issue is, it was the one that opened my eyes.

After the pictures appeared, I wondered how the society would deal with it. Well, I waited and waited, eventually assuming that they would just ignore it. Although less than totally satisfying, I would have accepted this lack of response.

But, one day, in a seemingly unrelated article about rumors, they completely denied that it had happened. They just came out and said that there were no pictures, even though I could see them with my own eyes. I found this insulting to my intelligence. The society appeared to have no respect for their members at all.

From that point on, I began to notice that all was not well in JW-land.

• amac
    amac

I'm sorry but I see NO subliminal images that show any signs of being purposely put there. Maybe that is why the WT has denied it because they are nothing more than similarities.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Some of the hidden pictures in the publications were very close to wishful thinking, but there are two pictures that I cannot believe are anything other than purposeful insertions:

- WT, Feb 1/83, p19. This picture shows two sisters in service, being directed by an angel. In the folds of their skirt, a picture (looking like a greek god) can be seen

- Revelation climax, p159. This picture shows Jesus extending his hand. In his palm is a face.

In both of these pictures, the hidden face is out of place. Once you have noticed it, you realize that it is not naturally occurring. In fact, its lines are unnatural to the picture.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit