Anyone know the org's view on the HPV vaccine?

by careful 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• careful
    careful
    types of cancer.

I've been wondering for some time what the current GB has said about Witness parents giving the green light, or red light, to having their kids vaccinated against HPV (the human papillomavirus) since it is a sexually transmitted disease. It causes cervical and other types of cancer. The recommended age for vaccination is 8-12 years old. Does anyone know?

A practicing pediatrician who is also some kind of conservative Protestant wrote the following. He brings up the point that parents need to give consideration to their child's future marriage mate who, say, prior to conversion, may have had an active sexual history and thus pass on the virus to the uninfected mate.

https://erlc.com/resource-library/articles/should-christian-parents-consider-giving-their-children-the-hpv-vaccine/

He does not bring up other issues such as rape by an infected perpetrator or a Christian youth, or unfaithful mate, going wayward but later returning to the fold, something that we all know happens frequently in Witnessland.

Given these and other considerations that I'm probably not thinking of, does anyone know what the GB has dictated on this matter? Surely it must have come up by now. I searched the topic on this site before making this post. The vaccine has been discussed in a few posts, mainly going back years, but no one has stated the org's policy/view.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The decision should be based on whether tie vaccination is effective, the chances of coming down with something without it is significant, and the condition that it supposedly immunizes against is serious. And, how dangerous the vaccination itself is. If you are vaccinating against something that has barely an increased risk for problems later, and the vaccine is dangerous, then no, you shouldn't get it.

Whether it is a sexually transmitted disease is besides the point. If it is a mild disease and the risks of later complications is low, and the vaccine itself causes autism and other serious problems, that is a bigger reason to not get it than because it is against a sexually transmitted disease. On the other hand, if you have a vaccine that is about as dangerous as an aspirin, is highly effective, and the risk of not taking the vaccine is getting something that causes 20 years of suffering, then by all means take it.

Seems the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger knows nothing about medicine, and should stay out of it (even worse than Fauci, who I do not respect). Bad enough Gates and Fauci trying to get these shots out. But, when a religion that knows absolutely nothing about disease tries telling people to trust in joke-hova, and later expecting them to take some (Coronavirus) shots but not others (HPV), and puts your salvation on the line, that is going too far.

I also recall a time when they were totally against all vaccinations, and not because they do not work, are dangerous, or are a scam. Because they wanted people to trust in joke-hova, that's why. Now, we have so many shots for stupid things along with legitimate shots, that one should make your own decision on a per-shot basis. Not based on what some idiots say based on a book full of lies, but based on doing your own research on the risks and benefits of shots (and versus taking vitamin D).

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

We had a pointed talk on such matters against it. The reasoning being that jw kids will never get a disease because they all marry as virgins. Said protestant preacher has a better understanding.

Side point; news skates around how so many men get hpv in the throat.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

If it involves the cootch, it is off-limits.

Now go wash your hands and experience shame.

• Biahi
    Biahi

Many Christian parents also bury their heads in the sand, insisting that their kids are virgins, and will marry a virgin, and be faithful to each other for their entire lives.Sigh

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

@WTwizard: vaccines do not cause autism, there is no scientific basis to that.

The WTBTS is more concerned about whether the kid is actually doing something with their baby making parts than vaccination.

It will probably end up being a “conscience matter” and they often copy contemporary Christian writers on these matters.

As far as I know there is no outright or even an implied ban, as my daughter whose mother is PIMI has gotten it.

• rh3988
    rh3988

Side point; news skates around how so many men get hpv in the throat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMt3i9taO5Q

• Corney
    Corney

This is apparently the only WT publication on HPV: https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102005453

The 2005 article admits that HPV may be transmitted in ways other than sexual contact but still states that abstinence and mutual monogamy are the best prevention methods. It doesn't address vaccination in details, which is understandable, given that (AFAIK) the first HPV vaccine became available only in 2006.

This issue was not covered in more recent publications and the 2011 Correspondence Guidelines.

• careful
    careful

Thanks, road to nowhere and Corney. It's long amazed me how there are all sorts of policies the org has but you can't get the info in print. Surely lots of parents have asked their local elders what to do in this situation. Rather as an elder you have to contact your CO or call HQ for the scoop. More than ever, I firmly believe that this sort of thing is designed to make you constantly dependent on the org, as well as make you feel important that such "spiritual nuggets" of unpublished policy are a privilege to know... Ho hum.

Yeah, and all they do is above-board—right!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit