Christian Science - Religious Abuse

by dubstepped 2 Replies latest jw experiences

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

So I'm listening to an episode of The Mental Illness Happy Hour (Mentalpod.com) about a lady that left Christian Science. They like to throw around the phrase "the truth" a lot, read publications constantly and discuss at church, think they're better than others because they know "the truth", deny things that go on, etc. Her mom is a narcissist, and the religion is very narcissistic. It all sounds so familiar.

And then I remember that MY GRANDFATHER WAS IN CHRISTIAN SCIENCE. Dammit, my mom just followed the same general path but with the JWs. It is fascinating to see the patterns. We happened to move into a house next door to JWs, and that's how my mom started studying. The rest is cult history. My mom certainly seems narcissistic. As a kid I never got medical treatment and chalked it up to not having money, but I also knew that nobody cared. It's kind of depressing to look back and see the extreme dysfunction. It's also a source of pride that i got emotionally healthy on my own and live a good life now.

• pepperheart
    pepperheart

There is no such thing as death they say even though the founder of CS mary baker eddy died ?

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

The lady in the interview bought a four-plex or something larger (can't remember) just 5 days before Katrina hit. She hadn't even got the keys, and of course lost everything she just bought in the storm. Her mom denied that it happened. They seem to kind of believe that none of this is real, it is just some manifestation of our thoughts or not following the "truth" or something. Very strange.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit