Insufferable Presumption

by PaintedToeNail 6 Replies latest jw friends

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Today, Sunday, my son and I returned from a real estate investor meeting that we attend once a month with other active investors. We discussed our latest projects, financing needs, advertising and so on. We meet at 11:00 and don't usually get done before 2:00 pm and today was no different. After, we hit up Lowes' to pick up plumbing supplies and flooring for one of our projects. We arrived home about 30 minutes ago. On my dining room table was a "Return to Jehovah" brochure and an invite to the Memorial.

An elder from my old KH had stopped by and dropped them off. Now, my husband was at the KH today, he almost never misses now that I have left. This elder, who is a really sweet man, decided to stop and offer me a personal invite. What annoys me is that the man THINKS that I SIT AT HOME LONELY AND WAITING FOR MY HUSBAND to come home before I can have a life. Just because I left the JWs doesn't mean I've left life for cripes sake. I am more alive and engaged in life than ever before. The brochure offended me in that it thinks I left because 'I'm guilty of some secret sin' or that I was 'stumbled' by some stupid person, rather than that I made a CALCULATED and CONSIDERED decision, based on knowledge and being sick and tired of the ridiculousness of the JW rat race.

To me, it is insufferably presumptuous for anyone to think that those of us who have left are reduced to a pathetic life of lonely days waiting for the faithful JWs to encourage us to return to a 'satisfying' life of self-sacrifice to the org.

I'm currently running 2 complete renovation projects locally. When my son and I renovate, we do everything-the house gets gutted, redesigned for modern living and put back together. We are busy, happy people who are enjoying life and making new friends with similar interests, not moping around waiting for brochures to welcome us back to the KH. Seesh, the JW's need to get a life!!!

• ZAPPA-ESQUE
    ZAPPA-ESQUE

PTN PaintedToeNail - we were also assumed to be very unhappy and miserable since we left [saw this on a JW family members SMS to another family member !] - The very opposite is the reality ! Of course now that they have seen that our lives are so busy and full they are more miserable than ever !

That brochure is very condescending.

BTW we did NOT get the official visit and invite to "come back" ....to Jehovah [which is another presumption ..."why did you leave Jehovah? " ..........this is how it is stated !]

My stock answer now is: "Listen ..if you can logically explain the Overlapping Generations teaching from the scriptures ...I may rethink things ! " ........[like hell I will ] but they NEVER respond to that challenge - they cant and its so sad ! I too was there once.

• zeb
    zeb

A senior brother saw me out shopping.

"How are you?" he calls out.

"Great" I called back.

He seemed disappointed.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

YES PTN!

Agreed!

The brochure is insulting, because it uses classic "strawman" arguments that fail to address the REAL reason so many have left.

Oh, and I love how they say "we miss you" etc when they visit for the purpose of dropping in that brochure, but cant stop and say hi in the street! Yes, really miss us indeed!

• sir82
    sir82

Oh, and I love how they say "we miss you" etc when they visit for the purpose of dropping in that brochure, but cant stop and say hi in the street!

"We miss you" --> Real meaning translation --> "If we've got to suffer thru hours of drudgery at the Kingdom Hall, you should have to also!"

I.e., misery loves company.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail
    I love it when JWs I meet out in public ask how I am (usually asked in a condescending way). When I say, ''Great!" they always look shocked and disappointed.
  • steve2
    steve2

JW: (concern in voice) "We miss you!"

Me: (smiling) "Let's meet for coffee then!"

JW: (serious) "Oh, I meant we miss you at meetings"

Me: (smiling) "I haven't gone to meetings in years"

JW (concern in voice) "That's why we miss you!"

Me: (beaming smile) "I'm ready when you are to go out for coffee!"

JW: (distracted) "We'll get back to you".

Months down track, nothing. So much for missing me!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit