How to survive an assembly

by BlackWolf 30 Replies latest jw friends

• WTWizard
    WTWizard
    These days, you can view so much more than what they want you to. You have a tablet? Yes, there are data limits and fees--it helps if you have interchangeable memory sticks or cards. You can then download whole web sites and put them on the stick or card. And that includes sites that bash the living crap out of the whole Christi-SCAM-ity.
  • blondie
    blondie

It's too late probably to learn shorthand? But I made to do lists, planned trips, shopping lists, made up stories, worked on school work. Work in as many restroom trips you can, but be sure to do it at home or the jig is up. I would bring another bible version and compare the scriptures....a plain book cover might be a good idea. If you do hear BS, try writing down why you think it is BS. It'll prepare you for explaining your own beliefs.

For those with other answers that missed the point that he is living at home and still subject to parental rules, a road of outright rebellion may not help much.. So until he is old enough to move out and/or has the funds to do it, he has a tricky road to walk.

• tiki
    tiki

Fake a case of diarrhea and run to the loo every 15 minutes..??or if you're tough enough for the real thing down some powerful laxatives the night before....parents might not even want you to go (to the hall that is)

• DarioKehl
    DarioKehl

Poor kid probably can't see any of our suggestions at the moment. It's only just now time for mid morning song & announcements ("you may be seated").

Side note: I just woke up half an hour ago. Love my sleep-in Sundays.

• Cangie
    Cangie

Long ago, when I was a teenager in the organization, we served meals at the assembles/conventions. The event also lasted several days, (in some instances a week) so I volunteered with "food services" for the entire time. I got to meet other JW's my age (and actually had fun with them), stayed out of the seat most of the program, and looked good to my parents and others because of my willingness to serve the brothers.

They don't serve meals anymore, but aren't there still things you could volunteer for? If I remember correctly, they always needed more help, and even had a "volunteer department" set up where you could find an assignment once you arrived. Try "lost-and-found", emergency medical services, babysitting the contribution boxes, etc. You might even get what no one else wants---bathroom duty. But hey, if it keeps you busy and distracted from the program...

• joe134cd
    joe134cd
    I like the idea of marking down on a piece of paper the times you hear bull shit. Hehe. Seriously what I used to do in the final stages of been a JW was to sit in an area of the assembly away from your parents, and others that know you. When the program starts make out that you have got duties to do. Then hop in your car and go and have a coffee at the cafe arriving back shortly before to the convention finishes getting seated again and making out you have been there the whole time. Mind you I was late 30s when I started doing this so I don't know how it will work for you.
  • BlackWolf
    BlackWolf

Thanks everybody for your ideas. I'm already back now. Thank Jehovah its over lol!! Also just so everybody knows I'm a 16 year old girl.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

It's so easy to pass the time these days. I like to do the brain games from dictionary.com and I always have reading material downloaded on my tablet. Then don't forget to take plenty of breaks and go outside and walk around.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    You survived ok black wolf??
  • dugout
    dugout

yo just listen more to the bullcrap. Its really funny at times. A real comedy show......... to tell you the truth I listen more than I did as an elder. Some of things they say is laughable. Some stuff not so funny,But You also have to listen to the things NOT said,thats interesting. Lucky for me though our assembly hall is right smack in the middle of a shopping area, one of the largest in N.Y. When I get bored I tell my wife Ill be back and go shopping. When I get back she usually sleeping. That's funny.

peace I DUGOUT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit