Why is Mother's Day wrong?

by stuckinarut2 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great scan wheelwithinwheel!

Thanks for sharing.

• Lostandfound
    Lostandfound
    Cards and flowers for Mothers Day, waste of money , Caleb & Sophia save money to add to ice cream money they put in the KH box. As ever the money lurks in the background.
  • HappyDad
    HappyDad

I just wish my "df'd since 1971 for smoking" mother were still alive so that I could celebrate her worth as my mother. She died in 1998 and I am proud to say that when I was a brainwashed dub, I never once allowed the JW doctrine to affect my relationship with her. Screw you Watchtower!

HappyDad

• Half banana
    Half banana
    Well Jesus set the pattern by snubbing his own mother...and therefore so should we...?
  • Tenacious
    Tenacious

My spouse was saying how stupid it was that people are made to celebrate mother's day and that there shouldn't just be one special day for showing love yada yada yada. So I stopped her and said, "isn't it better than nothing?"

That quickly put a stop to her JW tirade at least momentarily and seconds later she just scoffed and said the same thing.

Sometimes common sense is no match for the deep JW indoctrination.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

I just saw Venus and Serena Williams with their mother " Happy Mother's Day."

My news station both standing with their mom hold a sign "Happy mother's Day".

I guess it's who you know or how much dough you have, you can honor your mom on Mother's Day.

• steve2
    steve2

Look, they have given the okay for celebrating wedding anniversaries - which are birthdays of the wedding day.

If they can do that for wedding anniversaries, they can allow Mother's and Father's Days.

Most of the arguments "against" birthdays can be levelled against celebrating wedding anniversaries (e.g., First Century Christians did not observe them, why observe a date on a calendar when you should remember loved ones everyday, do not place attention on individuals when it belongs to Jehovah, etc) - yet it is left entirely up to the individual's conscience.

• Half banana
    Half banana

I wonder if the time will come with declining membership, when they will start listening to their critics and accept Mother's day and birthdays and all sorts of commonplace traditions just in an attempt to retain numbers?

It is a possible future for the cult to be a more easy going, chummy thing with laid back "conscience decisions" on the above matters. The key to WT success is not doctrinal truth which is an impossible ideal for any group but to control a large membership which equals income and power for those at the top.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit