Why is Mother's Day wrong?

by stuckinarut2 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

So WHY is celebrating Mother's Day wrong according to Witnesses?

Is it not an opportunity to show respect to the giver of life (mother) and therefore God, the originator of families?

Does it not give an opportunity for members of the family to give a hard working mother a day off? Perhaps treating her?

The reasons used for its avoidance?

"Because of its origins...etc..."

"It gives undue attention to one person, thus promoting pride... etc"

"It wasn't celebrated by ancient worshipers... etc..."

But by those sort of reasonings, EVERYTHING with a dubious origin should be avoided right?

Wedding rings

Wedding anniversaries

Ties worn as clothing

Days of the week

and the list goes on.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/385530004/rejecting-something-due-unscriptural-pagan-origins 

• FayeDunaway
    FayeDunaway

It's not in the least wrong. Like reasons for not celebrating many other special days, the WT is jealous of anyone else getting attention. And they don't really want anyone to be a mother. Taking care of a baby takes away SO much possible serve-us time!!

• BlackWolf
    BlackWolf

I was about to ask the same question, but really it all comes down to jws being anti fun. They hate when your having fun doing something not related to jwdom, it could be a "distraction". And they hate it even more when your appreciating someone other than jehover and jw.Borg.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Nothing wrong with it at all, they just want to take all the fun they can out of a Dubs life.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField
    Stuckin - I agree. I started a thread on Mother's Day myself. We should all appreciate our mothers while we can.
  • JW_Rogue
    JW_Rogue

There is only one mother and she is in Brooklyn, NY

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

The bible states over and over again, "Honor your Father and Mother".

WTH!!!!

• LV101
    LV101
    The cult leaders won't allow anyone having any other gods before them.
  • disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

This was on the whisper app today. Ridiculous.

• wheelwithinwheel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit