JW type cult in Designated Survivor

by Mickey mouse 3 Replies latest social entertainment

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Did anyone else catch episode 10 of season 2 of Designated Survivor on Netflix? There was a group portrayed that were clearly meant to be JWs; the mother was objecting to a blood transfusion for her baby.

The funny part was the debate amongst the white house staff as to whether they could be classified as a cult. I found it interesting that they didn't go as far as to name the group as JWs.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Very interesting. Any other parallels, or were they more an amalgam of different fringe religions?

• inbetween09
    inbetween09

sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but just seen the episode on netflix yesterday.

It was so close to what actually could have happened with JW, almost astonishing close.

Of course, the idea, JW would refuse to be evacuated from a forest on fire to pressure the government would be a bit far fetched, but the scene in the hospital was quite realistic, as the mom finally agreed fo giving the baby daughter some of her blood to save her life.

Actually even for JW, the show di not really in any way ridicule their belief, it was rather done respectfully, even though none of the people outside the group (cult, religion) agreed with their stance regarding taking bible literla in this case.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I have been a fan of Designated survivor and I don`t recall seeing an episode like this. I `ll have to check back on past episodes maybe I`ve missed an episode or maybe it hasn`t even been shown here yet ,?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit