Do you remember 1975? I remember 1984.

by The Rebel 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

My defining moment was 1984, and I believe the trick to helping people out a cult is not 1975, or 1914 generation changes but finding in a cult member their individual reason to move on ...mine was 1984 and a football match a cult made me miss.

What was yours?

yes i remember 1975 and 1984. two years that important things happened in my life. I have no interest in football now and little in sport generally.

the year for me was 1967 and witnessing to the boy who sat in front of me in the classroom. I went home at lunchtime as usual and was going to return with my bible to show him some scriptures. When I went home I read the scriptures and was puzzled and looked it up in the Watchtower. I accepted what it said but didn't want to share it with him.

Over 25 years later I read in the Watchtower what I knew in 67 and that was the beginning of leaving.

• pbrow
    pbrow

1984 does indeed have a modern day application!

You are wide awake now so your son doesnt have to be asleep!

Congrats! you have broken the chain!

pbrow

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

All these decades later I am sitting here having burnt my baptism photos. With that gesture I am no longer on my way, I am free. Maybe I should now go too YouTube and watch that cup final I missed in 1984. But I won't because we lost it. However for me and I hope for Watford F.C it's onwards and upwards from this day forward.

• Heaven
    Heaven

The Rebel said: I believe the trick to helping people out a cult is not 1975, or 1914 generation changes but finding in a cult member their individual reason to move on

Steven Hassan agrees with you. It is a good tactic as all this religious stuff is really an emotional and personal thing.

I remember 1975. I was 12 years old... and my maternal grandmother was dying of bone cancer. Oh yeah, Armageddon did not arrive either.

I also remember 1984. This was the year I got hired full time by the company I still work for today for a career I wasn't going to need. I just celebrated 32 years with this company. I was also not supposed to grow old but that is what is happening.

I knew that Botchtower wasn't the religion for me when I was a teenager for a number of reasons including my inability to subjugate myself. But it wasn't until a few years ago that I realize the entirety of the falseness of belief. Religion is lies served up as truth, hatred and oppression presented in the guise of love. It is legalized fraud and when something is based on baseless things, it is disingenuous and fails.

I now prefer to live in an evidence based world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit