Besides Beards . . .

by neat blue dog 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Beards have been talked about a lot, especially with the recent wt article, but what about other types of non-mustache facial hair, like goatees chinbeards and soul patches?

In my own experience I've seen a white young man with big handlebars and a soul patch run mikes, do literature and give talks not too long ago. I saw a black older man with a sizeable soul patch as the focus of one shot in a jw.org video about an annual meeting a few years ago. I saw a goateed man from the RBC in a slideshow shown at a assembly hall dedication about five years ago, and another goateed man was an attendant at a District Convention about ten years ago. Tonight I also found this dating profile of a goateed man who claims to be a ministerial servant.

Has anybody here seen or tried anything other than a full beard or mustache and got away with it, or seen it happen?

• mikeypants
    mikeypants

What's the latest with beards?

My family knew someone that had a beard and gave parts they say. Think he was an elder. He had some skin disorder where he couldn't use razors. But, I've never seen it.

My father in law elder claims that they may be relaxing their stance and allow facial hair sometime soon.

Another ridiculous unwritten policy with no bible backing.

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds

mikeypants: I knew an elder just like that. Had some sort of skin disorder so he couldn't shave. He also didn't wear ties for some reason. He always had the first few buttons on his shirt undone. He always looked sloppy.

As for other facial hair, black brothers can get away with a soulpatch. I knew several elders who had them.

• mikeypants
    mikeypants

Barrold, wonder if It's the same dude? Or perhaps they just use it an excuse and multiple ones do it.

Think this guy was in Oklahoma supposedly.

I argue with my still in wife about facial hair all the time. At what point does God disapprove of facial hair? Mustaches are okay. Sideburns are okay. But damn it, they better not meet up at any point and definitely no hair on the chin.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Ah, classic Rutherfordianism.

Dontcha just love it?

• Giordano
    Giordano

The WTBT$ has added it's corporate polices into it's dogma so that grooming and clothing issues have to conform. After all Jehovah, their backyard god and pet, is always concerned with facial hair, long hair for men, pants suits for sisters at the KH, too much makeup and tight clothes for both men and women.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

@ Giordano...

Spanx you very much... for that loving reminder.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast
    he had some skin disorder where he couldn't use razors.

The old skin disorder strategy eh? Commonly used and hard to disprove. What is all the angst about? Totally infantile and ridiculous.

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

Speaking of facial hair...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYaftoxf31M

"You men who long for love,

you mustn't all despair,

There's a secret you should know,
    to capture the hearts of the fair.

You may not have the looks.
    You may not have the dash.
    But to win yourself a girl,
    If you only got a mustache,
    a mustache, a mustache
    if you only got a mustache.

You may be common folk,
    without a hint of pride.
    But you needin' to be a king,
    to make any maiden a bride.

You may not have the name,
    You may not have the cash,
    But you'll make that girl your own.
    If you only got a mustache,
    a mustache, a mustache,
    If you only got a mustache.

You may be big and fat or uglier than seen,
    all the ladies shut you out, you wonderin'
    how to get in, well here is my advice
    for how to make a splash,
    You can have your pick of girls

If you only got a mustache, a mustache, a mustache,
    if you only got a mustache, a mustache, a mustache, a mustache, big mustache , thick mustache
    My mustache, your mustache, say the word, the word
    Mustache: A mustache, a mustache.
    Now we both have said mustache,
    a mustache, a mustache.
    If you only got a mustache."

TB-

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

Yes, I've seen a number of black jws with a soul patch, (really not a patch, but more of a thin line), under the lip. Ironically like I said the only actually puffy soul patch I've seen on a jw was coupled with handlebars on a white dude . . . and he was allowed privileges. I was quite surprised to see goatees (chin beards) on a few brothers with privileges, because they seem to be outlawed almost everywhere the beard is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit