More Bush-isms

by Reborn2002 2 Replies latest social current

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20030730/ap_on_go_pr_wh/bush_16

Bush Takes Responsibility for Iraq Claim
    44 minutes ago
    Add White House - AP to My Yahoo!

By TOM RAUM, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - President Bush ( news - web sites) on Wednesday accepted personal responsibility for a discredited portion of last winter's State of the Union address that suggested Saddam Hussein ( news - web sites ) was shopping for nuclear material in Africa.

"I take personal responsibility for everything I say, absolutely," the president said during an hour-long White House news conference where he sought to quell a controversy that has dogged his administration for weeks.

It was the first time he had specifically taken responsibility for the words. In the past, he sidestepped the question, taking responsibility only for his decisions.

Bush also expressed strong support for his national security adviser, Condoleezza Rice ( news - web sites ), defending her against criticism over her role in the controversy.

Speaking at his first solo news conference since March, the president said the deaths of Saddam Hussein's two sons marked progress in assuring the Iraqi people that the old regime was gone forever. Still, he said he doesn't know how close American troops are to finding the deposed dictator.

"Closer than we were yesterday, I guess. All I know is we're on the hunt," he added.

Bush also said there was a "real threat" of a new al-Qaida attack on the United States, responding to a Department of Homeland Security warning about the possibility that the terror organization tied to the Sept. 11 terror attacks may try more suicide hijackings.

Without shedding much light on the warning, Bush said, "I'm confident that we will thwart their attempts."

On one simmering domestic issue, the president said he opposes gay marriage, and suggested his administration might propose legislation on the subject.

"I believe a marriage is between a man and a woman. And I think we ought to codify that one way or the other. And we've got lawyers looking at the best way to do that," he said.

Despite nearly daily deaths of American troops in postwar Iraq ( news - web sites ), Bush appealed for patience as Iraqis try to form a new, free society. "I didn't expect Thomas Jefferson to emerge in Iraq in a 90-day period," he said.

Bush said the United States and its allies would "complete our mission in Iraq, We will complete our mission in Afghanistan ( news - web sites ) ... We will wage the war on terror against every enemy that plots against our people."

In his Jan. 28 State of the Union speech, Bush uttered 16 words that have come back to haunt him: "The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa."

Many CIA ( news - web sites ) officials doubted the accuracy of the British intelligence. While previously declining to take personal responsibility for those words, CIA Director George Tenet did so, followed by a senior White House aide, deputy national security adviser Stephen Hadley.

Rice has also come under criticism in connection with the speech and events leading to the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001. Bush strongly defended his national security adviser, saying she was an "honest, fabulous person" and the United States was lucky to have her in government.

Fielding questions in the summer heat, Bush also defended his decision not to declassify a portion of a congressional report dealing with intelligence lapses in advance of the Sept. 11 attacks, even though several influential members of Congress and the government of Saudi Arabia had requested him to do so.

Bush told reporters, "since I'm in charge of the war on terror, we won't reveal source and methods" of gathering intelligence.

The president opened his news conference with a pledge to fight the war on terrorism as well as push the economy toward recovery. "We are beginning to see hopeful signs of faster growth in the economy which over time will yield new jobs. Yet the unemployment rate is too high and we will not rest until Americans looking for work can find a job," Bush said.

He also asked Congress to pass measures on his list of priorities — an energy bill, a child tax credit for lower-income families, and a Medicare prescription drug bill among them.

On other issues, Bush:

_Said the United States must sort through "literally miles of documents" to learn the truth of whether Saddam's regime had ties to al-Qaida and details about its weapons programs. "We've been there for 90 days," he said.

_Said his tax cuts accounted for 25 percent of the mushrooming federal budget deficit, but said the cuts were necessary to prevent a deep recession. Spending increases, mostly on war and homeland security, account for much of the rest of the deficit, he said.

_Renewed his contention that the best way to deal with a nuclear weapons program in North Korea ( news - web sites ) is to draw regional neighbors into efforts to stop it. Working directly with North Korea didn't work in the past, he said.

_Defended his goal of raising at least $170 million for a primary election next year in which he faces no GOP opponent. Asked how he will spend it, he said: "Watch me."

_Renewed his commitment to spending $15 billion over five years to combat AIDS ( news - web sites ) in Africa and the Caribbean.

_Wouldn't say whether he will ultimately send ground forces into Liberia ( news - web sites ) but reiterated that President Charles Taylor must step aside, and a cease fire must take hold, before Americans go in to help stabilize the country for the United Nations ( news - web sites ) and relief groups.

-Said "all options remain on the table" on confronting Iran's alleged attempts to build nuclear weapons, but said he hoped tensions could be resolved peacefully. He noted that Iran still officially seeks the destruction of Israel.

-Steered clear of the campaign to recall California Gov. Gray Davis ( news - web sites ), saying it was an issue for state voters. "I view it like an interested political observer would view it," he said.

The appearance before reporters marked the eighth time since taking office that Bush has fielded questions at a formal news conference, and the first time since American and British forces invaded Iraq last March.

By comparison, Bill Clinton ( news - web sites ) had held 33 formal news conferences at a comparable point in his administration; Bush's father, former President George H.W. Bush, had 61.

So let's see. Time for an article wrap-up.

First, Bush finally, after weeks of sidestepping the issue, accepts personal responsibility for making statements and presenting them as fact in his State of the Union Address to incite support for a war when in reality those comments are false allegations.

Next, I see our beloved President continues to allow his personal Christian belief in Jeezus Khrist to guide him when making federal legislation regarding who is or is not entitled to marriage and the rights, privileges, and responsibilities that go along with it, despite the Supreme Court and society viewing things in our era much more liberally. So muc for equality for everyone and no discrimination based on sexual orientation eh?

Third, in his traditional condescending "I'm Da Boss" attitude, he dismisses the requests of the Senate and the Saudi government and says.. hey what was that again? I'll directly quote it:

Bush told reporters, "since I'm in charge of the war on terror, we won't reveal source and methods" of gathering intelligence.

On other issues, Bush says the United States must sort through "literally miles of documents" to learn the truth whether Saddam's regime had ties to al-Qaida. Hey didn't whipping boy yes man Colin Powell already unequivocally state that they were cooperative? That was another justification for waging this war as presented to the UN. Make up your mind Dubya. I'm beginning to admire his ability for revisionism.

Admitted his tax cuts accounted for 25 percent of the mushrooming federal budget deficit. Spending increases, mostly on war and homeland security, account for much of the rest of the deficit.

Thanks George. This in light of today's news that Air Marshals in the Transportation Safety Administration are being laid off despite spending Bush claims is allocated to homeland security, and conveniently the layoff comes just in time for a public warning about potential future airline hijackings.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=542&e=2&u=/ap/20030730/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/hijackings_warning

Thanks George.

Raising $170 million for a primary election next year when he faces no GOP opponent? I got a novel idea. Why don't you put that back into the economy.

Only the 8th time he has fielded questions in a formal news conference, when at this stage of the Administration Clinton had done it 33x and his father had done it 61x? I guess if one thing is positive, his Advisors are intelligent. They do not want him speaking publicly anymore than necessary. Makes him look bad.

• happyout
    happyout

Reborn,

I usually steer clear of political threads, mainly because I don't keep as up to the minute as I should in regards to politics.

BUT, this guy is the biggest loser, and I can't believe we can recall Gray Davis but not George Bush.

Happyout

• George W Bush
    George W Bush

Well maybe if Mr Davis had given Californians what they wanted......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit