Convention Distances: Jamaica

by jw07 3 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jw07
    jw07

For the past few years conventions in eastern Jamaica have been held at a cricket stadium, in the capital city, known as Sabina Park. This venue is a central location for the bulk of the attendees who make it there from the capital Kingston, as well as the adjoining areas of Portmore and Spanish Town. Yeah, that's where JWs are concentrated, as well as their non-jw friends, work mates and family who they coerce into attendance. It's a bit of a drive from uptown Kingston, but still within reach for most persons, even by bus.

JW.org had a good thing going for many years. Everyone knew where that was, and were more likely consider making it there, or to the national stadium, where convention were held previously. However, the organization continues shooting itself in the foot when it comes to just about everything. In order to skip rental costs for Sabina Park, or the National Stadium, the decision has been made to use the cult compound (I mean assembly hall) located in Marlie Mount, Old Harbour, about an hour away (if you use the highway). This is a big deal in Jamaica, where gas prices are relatively high, and where the highway toll is expensive. Also most people don't give a damn about JWs locally, although will attend so that their JW acquaintances can stop pestering them.

This further distance will likely lessen attendance by the general public. I got some confirmation of this yesterday and today. I'm stuck in the org for now, so I was out in field circus yesterday, and today. I have never seen so much persons laugh at JWs in the ministry when we told them where the venue was.

"Old Harbour, are you serious?"

"Will you be buying my gas?"

"Why don't you guys have it in Kingston as usual?"

I had to try hard not to burst out in laughter as well. It's not just me. At the past two meetings it has been announced that we need to get people to "not concentrate on the distance, but on the message instead. Helping them to focus on the prospect of living forever instead of how long it will take them to reach to the convention".

I can't wait until persons who unwillingly show up see the cult indoctrination and pro-disfellowingshipping videos, and other crazy stuff.

The bottom line is that if nobody gives a damn about your cult convention, then they won't put out the extra effort to come. Unless that's what the org wants. I can't wait to see how many will not attend this year. It's logic.

Does anyone else have anything similar happening with their convention venues in recent years?

• redpilltwice
    redpilltwice

Thanks for the story jw07, I'm so glad I'm out. Over here, they are building a new convention venue in the north that will replace a worldly venue in the middle of our country. From where I live, the distance would be more than double, but they won't get my time or money anyway, so I don't give a shit! Another alternative would be a convention in our southern neighbor country, but again...NOT FOR ME ANYMORE! I feel so sorry for all the WT drones that already kept their life <$imple and the families with little children that will go through hell because of all the extra efforts and the pressure to go and be fed by the slave .

At the past two meetings it has been announced that we need to get people to "not concentrate on the distance, but on the message instead. Helping them to focus on the prospect of living forever instead of how long it will take them to reach to the convention".

How naive! Deep in their hearts they know it doesn't work that way

• George One Time
    George One Time

I am curious too what will be the result next year when the new facilities in Swifterbant, the Netherlands will open. Instead of central locations, most people will have to travel a long distance. And we have a lot of older brothers and sisters here!

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Be thankful you don't live in this country. A couple conventions back they had the venue almost an hour and a half plane flight away that they assigned a congregation to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit