Hot Child In The City

by wasasister 8 Replies latest jw friends

• wasasister
    wasasister

Is there any greater joy than summer? It's been 90 degrees (F) here in the Pacific Northwest off an on for over a week. I just got back from an extended trip to Northern California, where it was nowhere near this warm. The hot weather here is rare indeed.

I revel in this. I hear kids outside playing basketball in the street - shooting hoops until someone's Mom calls them inside for a quick bath and then to bed. My God, how I long for that sometimes. Play from dawn until dark, stopping only to eat and then being dragged inside and forced to sleep, the sun still influencing the western sky. Going to sleep with your heart still pounding and your skin scorched from hours in the summer sun.

I remember the time when Mom didn't worry about where we were on our Schwins for hours at a time. No one thought about child molesters or serial killers. We were kids and we had our childhood assured. Our bikes were chariots and we were invincible as long as the sun held out.

If we only knew how our days were numbered. Not that we had to return to school in September, when it was still too warm to wear our new winter clothes. No, the end of summer comes much later...when we go off to jobs all day, no matter what time of year. No more running around half-naked, no more scraping the dirt off our toes and crawling into bed only to look forward to another day of play ahead, no more letting someone else worry about reality, bills, and meals.

Tomorrow I will get up early and think about the responsibilities of managing a small business. I'll look out my office window and wonder if the kids will be tossing water baloons or plunging down a "slip-n-slide".

Maturity sucks ass, big-time.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Agreed!!! I wanna summer vacation TOO!!!! WAAAAAAAH!

Nina

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82

it's been 105 here for like three days straight. i am loving it though. i love summer clothes, i love the way summer smells, makes me want to run around in the sprinkler on the front lawn all the time

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Yep, 106 degrees here today. Pretty brutal! Fortunately we only have 17% humidity and there's AC everywhere you go.

• shamus
    shamus

Your words totally remind me of childhood.... you would be a great writer.

• GinnyTosken
    GinnyTosken

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you were?

And who says you can't throw water balloons at work?

You're it!

Ginny

• Farkel
    Farkel

Wasa,

You're a pup, dummy. I'm a 55 year-old-body stuck in a 30 year-old mindset. THAT sucks. Even people thirty years my junior treat me (and pick on me) as a peer.

I'm a senior citizen who's embarrassed to ask for that discount at the movie theatre or at Dennys.

Life sucks, but my body is strong and "jerk" still flows through my veins. So maybe it's not so bad after all.

We all die. I like the line where Deloras Hope asked Bob where he wanted to be buried when he died. He said "Surprise me!"

Yeah!

Farkel

• sxybrwneyes
    sxybrwneyes

I live on the west coast, Santa cruz, and the weather is beautiful pretty much all year round. I love it, in fact I am going to the beach today, which is about 5 miles away.

I am actually moving back to the central valley soon where it has been about 105. I am really going to miss the weather here.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

No thanks. Give me adulthood any day.

Expatbrit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit