Spirit of competition

by Nic 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nic
    Nic

Hi I'm new. I will get around to telling you my story as soon as I figure out where to post it!

I was a witness for 19 years (i left/df'd when I was 19) and was always told that I wasn't allowed to participate in after school sports because it was getting involved in competition which is frowned upon. So how come it's ok for the Williams sisters to play professional tennis, have a career, earn loadsa money AND wear totally immodest short skirts which show their knickers shock horror!! We weren't even allowed to show our knees! And surely the amount of practice that they would have had to do would have encroached on meetings, pre-study, family study, field ministry and of course the praying. Also I heard that one of them, when she won (don't know who or what - maybe wimbledon last year) said out loud "thanks to my God Jehovah". Why on earth would Jehovah be helping her? Especially if it's a sin.

So what's their justification?

Nic

• LeslieV
    LeslieV

First welcome to the board Nic!!!!!!!

I am going to take a stab at the explanation, and guess that they send substantial amounts of money to the borg. Because they are so high profile I would think that the borg would not want to say anything that the media could make an issue about. They want little children to stand up and be different but when it comes to the almight dollar it is always different for them. JMO

Leslie

• Special K
    Special K

Welcome to the Forum, Nic

I was like you growing up. Not allowed on any sports teams at school. It wasn't so much the competition that was drilled into me..It was because of the bad association that they were and they were of the world and. Remember "bad association spoils useful habits".. being shoved down your throat.

I don't know what it is with the Michael Jacksons, and the Williams sisters...

Just another reason to leave the Borg. To many inconsistencies..and too many people getting exceptions to their rules.

Special K

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Nic, welcome to the board, and glad to have you here.

As far as I know, the Williams sisters are inactive. I don't think that the WTS approves of their actions; but I also don't think that it would be fair to expect the WTS to denounce them publicly. Why should they?

• mizpah
    mizpah

Leslie V is right. The Watchtower puts up with a lot when it comes to celebrities who have been connected with the Watchtower or are still active. Undoubtedly, some of the laxity may be the sizeable contributions that these individuals give the Society. Certainly it was true in the case of Michael Jackson. The eyebrows of many JWs throughout the world were going up long before some action was taken. Probably the Society had to be very defensive when letters of inquiry came into the headquarters. But a point came when the whole problem could not be ignored.

Something similar is being done in the Church of Scientology. The celebrities get royal treatment and don't fall under the usual rules that apply to the "grunts" of their organization. Their positions of recognition draw many new converts into the organization. Therefore, they are always insulated from the power abuses felt by the ordinary members.

The Watchtower Society is, by no means, the only religious institution filled with contradictions and double standards. But it is one of the few that claims to be "different."

• Gopher
    Gopher
    in the case of Michael Jackson. The eyebrows of many JWs throughout the world were going up long before some action was taken. Probably the Society had to be very defensive when letters of inquiry came into the headquarters. But a point came when the whole problem could not be ignored.

Just to get the record straight concerning the "gloved one" (Michael Jackson), he took the action to separate from the WT Society, rather than the other way around. It happened in the mid-1980's. It seems that the only action the Society took was a "reaction" to the imagery of the THRILLER music video, leading to Michael's 'apology' for the video while he was still an active JW.

The account I heard was that Michael had a conversation with his pal, actor Marlon Brando, at about the time he had to "shun" one of his ex-JW sisters (Janet, perhaps), and Brando told him you can always get a new religion but you cannot replace your sister. At that point Michael decided that the JW's weren't for him.

• mizpah
    mizpah

Gopher:

Didn't the elders of Michael Jackson's congregation announce his disassociation? If they did, then the elders did take action that put him in the same situation as disfellowshipped members It's not an important point. But the elders and the Watchtower Society usually like "the last word."

• Loris
    Loris

The Williams sisters are not baptized. So they are free to do a lot of questionable stuff. Their parents just divorced this month. Don't know if it was "scriptual" or not. Daddy never was, Momma was/is.

Loris

• Loris
    Loris

OOps Sorry I forgot the most important part.

WELCOME NIC!!!!!!!!!!

Loris

• ClassAvenger
    ClassAvenger

Lol, so what is Michael Jackson now, a mormon?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit