Not Quick Enough

by unique2u 7 Replies latest jw friends

• unique2u
    unique2u

I guess there are times when I'm not quick enough! Earlier this week I had my weekly study and it's taken me a while to get on line to post. The study itself was pretty blah so I'll spare the details, hopefully next week will be more interesting. I did receive an answer regarding Jesus being resurrected as a spirit (1 Pet. 3:18 vs. bodily form (Lu. 24: 36-39) and wonders upon wonder... I was referred to the Reasoning Book- Page 334 stating "Acts 10:40, 41: 'God raised this One [ Jesus Christ ] up on the third day and granted him to become manifest, no to all people, but to witnesses appointed beforehand by God.' (Why did not others see him too? Because he was a spirit creature and when, as angels had done in the past, he materialized fleshly bodies to make himself visable, he did so only in the presence of his disciples.)- End Quote from Reasoning From the Scriptures* I still had a hard time w/ their explanation so I continued to research using other materials to refer me to other scriptures and here's what I found (Please note- this was after they had left so a continuation on this discussion will follow- And I realize that there's a pretty good chance of my being found out w/ the lurkers) In 1st Corinthians 15: 3-8 "For I handed on to you, among the first things, that which I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures: and that he appeared to Cephas, then to the 12. After that he appeared to upward of five hundred brothers at one time, the most of whom remain to the present, but some have fallen asleep [ in death ]. After that he appeared to James, then to all the apostles; but last of all he appeared to me as if to one born prematurely." Now I run into issues regarding the quote from Reasoning where it states he only appeared to the disciples whereas 1st Corinthians states he appeared to upward of 500? 1st Corinthians 15:16 - 17 "Moreover , we are also found false witnesses of God, because we have borne witness against God that he raised up the Christ, but whom he did not raise up if the dead are really not raised up. Further, if Christ has not been raised up, YOUR faith is useless; YOU are yet in YOUR sins." Now I realize the some believe that Christ was raised as a spirit and I'm NOT trying to sway anybody of your beliefs- so please bear w/ me (I would also appreciate ANY feedback!) 1st Corinthians 15: 21 "For since death is through a man, resurrection of the dead is also through a man." After reading that is when my thoughts REALLY started to jump all over. Jesus manifested a body (not specifically HIS body prior to his death) However while on earth he (Jesus) had resurrected Lazarus out from the memorial tomb and he evidently had kept his body- now upon the resurrection will we have the same bodies or will be able to 'manifest' a body (there's some women out there that I know I would love to look like!!) Any feedback (Positive or Negative) or further info would be appreciated! I'm still new to the search feature on the forum and tried to search prior to posting- Using "Jesus resurrected as Spirit" and had problems finding specifically what I was looking for. If I had offended anybody or stepped on any toes, so to speak, Please let me know- for that is the last thing I wanted to do!

• hooberus
  • Hamas
    Hamas

Do yourself a favour and quit your study now.

Trust me; been there, done that.

www.escapethewatchtower.com

• rocketman
    rocketman

I've been reading some material on this topic lately myself, from a book called "The Four Major Cults" (1962).

• simplesally
    simplesally

Jesus had a different body because he gave up his body once and for all time. It was not possible for him to use that body as it was the "sacrifice"....Lazarus body had not been destroyed. According to the WT, ones who have died, especially those whose bodies have decomposed, shall be recreated and appear as they did in life.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Isn't material ressurection the height of materialism? Or does living forever in somata take that distinction?

caveman

• Satanus
    Satanus

Funny how guys can ignore jesus' own words that he would raise his body on the third day. Not that i believe it, but that's what he said.

SS

• hooberus
    hooberus

The same body that was killed was raised.

"Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up. Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days? But he spake of the temple of his body. When therefore he was risen from the dead, his disciples remembered that he had said this unto them; and they believed the scripture, and the word which Jesus had said." John 2:19-22

The same body that was laid down was taken up.

"Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father." John 10:17-18

Believers bodies are resurrected in a restored glorified state, not "recreated" from scratch.

"Thy dead men shall live, together with my dead body shall they arise. Awake and sing, ye that dwell in dust: for thy dew is as the dew of herbs, and the earth shall cast out the dead." Isaiah 26:19

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit