I Learned Something New!!!

by NikL 6 Replies latest jw friends

• NikL
    NikL

Well I did indeed learn something new from the public talk last Sunday. While drifting in and out of consciousness, hoping for time to quickly pass, I picked up on a very important point.
    The words being spoken from the monotone bore machine at the podium had lulled me into a lethargic semi comatose state when all of a sudden one sentence cut through the fog like a hot knife cuts through butter.
    He said "The moon is our closest planet". The moon is a planet? Hmmm, I always thought the moon was...well...a moon. I guess this is some of that infamous light getting brighter. Just think, perhaps the sun is a rock and not a star. Maybe the sun revolves around Brooklyn. It could be that the dark side of the moon is actually the one with the illumination. The possibilities are endless!
    I can't wait 'till I knock on my first door Saturday morning and wake someone up to share this good news…or maybe when it comes to scientific knowledge the JWs are stuck on the dark side of the moon.

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

NikL:

Please ask the elder who gave this talk the following question, which perplexed me my entire JW life. New light may have provided the answer.

"Why didn't Jehovah create the sun to shine at night, when the light would come in useful?"

Thanks

Expatbrit

• Faraon
    Faraon

I think that he was right on key.
    Some scientists consider the moon to be another planet. It has only one sixth the mass of Earth.
    Just as there are binary stars, there are also binary planets.
    If you want to be picky try this:

*** Rbi8 Genesis 1:3-5 ***
    3 And God proceeded to say: “Let light come to be.” Then there came to be light. 4 After that God saw that the light was good, and God brought about a division between the light and the darkness. 5 And God began calling the light Day, but the darkness he called Night. And there came to be evening and there came to be morning, a first day.

*** Rbi8 Genesis 1:6-8 ***
    6 And God went on to say: “Let an expanse come to be in between the waters and let a dividing occur between the waters and the waters.” 7 Then God proceeded to make the expanse and to make a division between the waters that should be beneath the expanse and the waters that should be above the expanse. And it came to be so. 8 And God began to call the expanse Heaven. And there came to be evening and there came to be morning, a second day.

*** Rbi8 Genesis 1:14-19 ***
    14 And God went on to say: “Let luminaries come to be in the expanse of the heavens to make a division between the day and the night; and they must serve as signs and for seasons and for days and years. 15 And they must serve as luminaries in the expanse of the heavens to shine upon the earth.” And it came to be so. 16 And God proceeded to make the two great luminaries, the greater luminary for dominating the day and the lesser luminary for dominating the night, and also the stars. 17 Thus God put them in the expanse of the heavens to shine upon the earth, 18 and to dominate by day and by night and to make a division between the light and the darkness. Then God saw that [it was] good. 19 And there came to be evening and there came to be morning, a fourth day.

Questions:
    1. How come that Elohim created the light on the first day, but the Sun, Moon, and stars that produce such light were only created until the fourth day?
    2. How could the first three days have existed without the Sun, etc. to mark the passage of time?
    3. Why did the Elohim call the Moon a luminary. The Moon has no light of its own. It only reflects the light of the Sun.
    4. Why does 1:16 say "...and also the stars."? The Elohim should have known that the Sun is another star.
    5. Verse 17 says "Thus God put them in the expanse of the heavens to shine upon the earth". You must remember that this expanse called Heaven was created on the second day and it was the region between the two layers of water surrounding the Earth. How could all these billions of stars fit in this small region?

JRP

• hippikon
    hippikon

Sorry Faraon I'm not going to waste any of the grey stuff on that only to say “It’s all in the interpretation”.

"But it does move"
    Galileo

• Skimmer
    Skimmer

Some minor points:

Earth radius: 6,400 Km
    Moon radius: 1,700 Km

Earth volume: 1.1e+12 Km3
    Moon volume: 2.1e+10 Km3

So the volume ratio is about 60 to 1. The mass ratio is slightly higher, about 80 to 1 due to the greater density of the Earth.

The Earth-Moon system is not a double planet because the center of mass of the system is always inside of the Earth.

The WTBTS should stay away from science.

• Faraon
    Faraon

I stand corrected on the mass issue.
    29 years since I took a Physics course.
    I just remembered that the Moon's gravity is 1/6 of Earth, and my mind changed it to mass.

On the issue of being a binary planet, see
    http://windows.ivv.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/tour_def/pluto/binary_planet.html.

The only other planet and moon in the solar system which could be a double planet are the Earth and the Moon. As in the case of the Earth and the Moon, the origin of such a system is hard to explain.

I have read many articles lately referring to the moon as a binary planet.

Earth's diameter is only 3.67 times larger than the Moon.
    http://fi-www.arc.nasa.gov/ic/projects/bayes-group/Atlas/size/Earth/Moon.html
    JRP

• slipnslidemaster
    slipnslidemaster

There is a movement to reclassify Pluto from a planet to a Kuiper object. Pluto is the smallest "planet" in the solar system, smaller then even our moon.

Just thought I'd throw that in.

Slipnslideius Masterus: ... Strength and Honor ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit