Why Do You No Longer Believe in God?

by Tenacious 212 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    So you 'think' so I'm clearly wrong. A lot more than just 2 people have 'thought' you are wrong too so with everything you've ever said you are clearly wrong! And Viv doesn't count, she'll claim the opposite of anything you say whether right or wrong.
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    Computer programs absolutely can evolve!

Awesome, name a computer program that evolved on it's own.

And it's only a matter of time before one is made that will be similar to a newborn child in which it's able to constantly take in information and learn and execute it's own made up decisions

How is that relevant to your assertion?

We have the hard drive space capacities to house all the information and code needed, processing speed, etc

Please show me those calculations.

• pronomono
    pronomono

For me it was a long, slow process to disbelief. I wanted to believe so badly because it was all I'd ever known. I couldn't accept the fact that my parents were wrong and that I had unintentionally been lied to. I took it that I was less intelligent and that as I grew and matured I would come to appreciate and understand the spiritual things everyone else I knew loved so much.

That never happened. I'm now 30. For the past 2.5 years I've been questioning everything, starting with our rich JW spiritual heritage and realized it wasn't as rich as I've been told. TTATT completely shattered my respect for the Watchtower organization, which led to an investigation of the Bible. That investigation led me to distrust the Bible as an authoritative source. This lead me to investigate the supernatural, which I found no basis for belief.

All my research led me to one conclusion: "The more we learn about science and the world around us, the more we explain religion away, and religion has to continue reinventing itself to stay relevant." Science has changed alchemy to chemistry and astrology to astronomy. I believe that early alchemists/witches/diviners/etc were people that had an early understanding of how to harness the power of some scientific phenomenon without understanding its true properties and cause, and therefore chalked it up to angels/demons. Phenomenon that was once used as a means for divination and mysticism have been explained away by science as having logical causes. When I think of religion and God, I see an early attempt of the human species to try and understand the world around them, and I think at the time it was a necessary stepping stone. Any hypothesis is worth exploring. However, once that hypothesis was shown to have no verifiable proof, it should have been discarded a long time ago. Instead, it lead to the real intellectuals and geniuses of our past being hindered and labeled heretics, hindering the scientific process, our technological growth, and our growth as a species. I truly believe that if religion hadn't got in the way, we'd be much better off today in all aspects of life.

As far as the Bible goes, I used to think (a looooong time ago) how could such a wonderful book be anything other than the word of God. Until I started reading the parts the Watchtower never highlighted on condoned rape, slavery, and other OT atrocities. And then I started reading the Book of Mormon and the Koran and realized it's easier to make this stuff up than you might think. They couldn't all be right, yet they had all done the same thing.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Maybe because I am not about to die.

Now i have lost my faith in God, I often wonder if the moment before i was aware of my last breath would I would pray?

The Rebel.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    So you 'think' so I'm clearly wrong. A lot more than just 2 people have 'thought' you are wrong too so with everything you've ever said you are clearly wrong!

Of course I don't 'think' you're wrong. Observable reality simply shows it to be. As for the rest of your comment, well, no one asked you show that you've trouble constructing a valid argument makes sense, but you did it anyway.

• cofty
    cofty
    Actually I should have just told you to read a basic 5th grade science book to understand DNA then get back to me.

It's a metaphor. If you don't get that maybe you're not ready for 5th grade science books

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Damnit Viv that was my word!!

I know. I'm crafty like that.

Let's look at a textbook definition of it

Wikipedia is not a textbook.

Actually I should have just told you to read a basic 5th grade science book to understand DNA then get back to me.

Why, is that your level of understanding? If so, it would explain a lot...

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries
    Please show me those calculations.

Google is your friend

Awesome, name a computer program that evolved on it's own.

Google is your friend

How is that relevant to your assertion?

Google is your friend

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Google is your friend

Google didn't make the assertion, you did. Time to back it up if you expect to be taken seriously.

It this point, it simply sounds like you read a shitty paper, took a complete misunderstanding of science, DNA, teleology, computing, logic and forming and argument and ran with it and now are trying to get of out backing up a single thing you claimed.

That about sum it up?

• Tenacious
    Tenacious

cofty wrote:

"Science is constantly changing" is the rallying call of the intellectually lazy who like to make shit up and pretend it's just as valid as actual science.

Cofty I respect you. Your contributions to this site add to the broad base of knowledge.

I ask that, out of respect for other contributors, you refrain from attacking someone personally.

It would better serve this member forum to have an open, fair, and respectful discussion without resorting to name calling.

Thank you to everyone, including you cofty, for your contribution to this thread so far.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit