C14 intro

by uncle_onion 3 Replies latest jw friends

• uncle_onion
    uncle_onion

I have been doing some research on C14 dating. I thought the "simplest" way to check it out would be to read a thesis on why it is "wrong" and then research these arguements and see if they are wanting.The thesis is at http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c007.html

So here goes. I will post the different points and hopefully we can get a few good threads going.

1. The thesis makes the point that because the flood occured, the carbon in different materials would be as it is now. It says:

"Creationist researchers have suggested that dates of 35,000 - 45,000 years should be re-calibrated to the biblical date of the flood.[6] Such a re-calibration makes sense of anomalous data from carbon dating -- for example, very discordant "dates" for different parts of a frozen musk ox carcass from Alaska and an inordinately slow rate of accumulation of ground sloth dung pellets in the older layers of a cave where the layers were carbon dated."

????????

UO

• chasson
    chasson

Hi uncle,

What a deceptive article:

"People who ask about carbon-14 (14C) dating usually want to know about the radiometric[1] dating methods that are claimed to give millions and billions of years -- carbon dating can only give thousands of years. People wonder how millions of years could be squeezed into the biblical account of history."

and

"That is why radiocarbon dating cannot give millions of years. In fact, if a sample contains 14C, it is good evidence that it is not millions of years old."

The dating method of 14C is not used to date material of millions
    of years. This is a "straw man".

It sounds like "Creation" book, nothing more.

Bye

Charles

• uncle_onion
    uncle_onion

I agree But I am appoaching this from this angle: i have to prove to myself one way or the other about the validity of C14 dating. Neanderthals existed,we have proof. But the creationalists say that they were a race that were at the tower of Babel and therefore are not the age that C14 says as C14 is unreliable.Now I have to proof to myself that that this is or is not the case. Why? Well I want to believe the Bible as I can not see how evolution could have taken place (although this is a subject that I have noot researched properly yet)But I can not believe the Bible if it contradicts what we have here and now.I am very opened minded and want to see both sides of the story before I make a decision. As I have said before....NO ONE is going to pull the wool over my eyes again!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

uncle onion

I persisted in a vauge belief of god creator until I learnt some biology.

Obviously there are some sincere theists who know biology.

But for me it removed the last reason I had to believe in god

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit