Quality Of Life Musings..

by Englishman 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

When we were witnesses, we didn't worry much about the quality of our lives. We were concerned for our survival, and for the survival of our loved one's, but we didn't pay much attention to our own personal happiness, believing that our desires for material things and delights were Satanic in origin.

Things are different now though! After I departed the JW's it took me many years to appreciate that being in a loving relationship with a special person, is not, in itself, enough, whether that "special person" is our God or our lover, and that there was much more required in our lives before we can feel a sense of contentment. After all, no matter how idyllic a special relationship might be, we can't feed off just that one thing until the day that we die.

Now, I'm really going to throw a wobbler into any noble idea's that might be forming in the minds of those who are thinking that it is the "higher things" that can make us feel fulfilled and that little else is required. I'm talking about how we actually spend our day, what we do and how easy or difficult our days tasks can be.

Seemingly tiny things, like how close to the shops we live, how many hours a day we work, how we spend our time in the evening and at weekends, how many holidays a year we have, how fit we keep ourselves, what esteem we are held in by others as well as ourselves, how well we sleep, the list seems to go on and on of things that can make us feel good.

Little of the above revolves around spiritual things, rather it seems to me that a continuous series of rewarding events during the course of a day is ultimately the key factor in deciding how elated / depressed our basic personality becomes. I wonder how many of us still pooh pooh the idea that it is these sort of things that make us happy, and, instead, are forever looking for something of a "higher nature"?

..And if that is so, that a spiritual quest is nowhere near enough to satisfy our need for life quality, what else do most of us need as well, so as to have a good Quality of Life?

Englishman.

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

Matthew 6:34

• ashitaka
    ashitaka
    ..And if that is so, that a spiritual quest is nowhere near enough to satisfy our need for life quality, what else do most of us need as well, so as to have a good Quality of Life?

Part one is finding someone to spend you life with. For me, I found the girl of my dreams and married her. I think she is the only person who has every truly understood me.

Part two is finding a niche, a little house with a garden that is yours, just a spot to call your own, where you can plan a future, or enjoy what you've earned.

Part three is being satisfied with your job/career. This can cause a lot of unhappiness of you don't take care of it.

Part four is our health. If we don't have that....

I think the final part is holding on to a few of our greatest aspirations, keep hope alive that someday we can write that book, run that marathon, have the children, grandchildren.

That's what I'm shooting for.

ash

• Englishman
    Englishman

Ash,

Whenever I feel down, I check out my list of "F" words.

Fitness

Fun

Finances

Faith

Family

Food, ie diet

If I'm unhappy, it's always down to one of those demanding my attention.

Englishman.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

E-man,

Agree with your whole list and to it I would add,

Travel has always been important to me, going on an adventure. Once a year I try to go someplace where I'm scuba diving in the ocean, hiking in the mountains. These are always good times.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

I agree with Englishman that the things he describes are what make a day-to-day difference.

I think, though, that you have to be at peace with yourself before you can enjoy any of those things.

If you're at peace with yourself, then you can be content even if your outside circumstances are crappy. If you're not at peace with yourself, then the best circumstances in the world will still leave you feeling miserable.

Some people find inner peace through devotion to a cause or a higher power. Others find it simply through acceptance of themselves and of the world. I say, whatever works for them.

• MrsQ
    MrsQ

Nicely stated Englishman! This is a great post!

I really feel that as human beings, we are neither angel nor animal...but a combination of the two. As JW's we were constantly told to separate ourselves from the world and focus on "spiritual" matters--but we are not spiritual creatures--therefore, we can't be truely happy or fulfilled unless both aspects of our existence are maintained in a healthy manner.

Q.

• Ariell
    Ariell

A house near the Atlantic coast.......lying in a hammock under an oak tree........my feet in the grass. This modern world is filled with noise, excessive media, neon lights, hectic shedules and chaos. We need peaceful moments to reflect, recharge, and soak in all that's good. You know, the small stuff.

I think life should be about the journey, not the destinations. We should live in the present, stop thinking about the past, stop worrying about the future. So many people think to themselves: When I get this new job, when I buy this new house, when I lose weight, when I marry the love of my life, then I'll be happy, but when that time comes it's still not enough. You find yourself always wanting more- never being satisfied. It's all about the here and now. At least for me anyway. It's not easy, but I'm working on it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit