A Suggestion for Closed Debating

by IslandWoman 3 Replies latest forum suggestions

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Hi Simon,

I have a suggestion.

There are many long threads which either start out or end up to be debates between several principals. Many times peripheral posts in those threads take them off topic or add to the heat of the thread but not the discussion.

If there were a forum here where only the agreed participants would be allowed to debate then the posters could get to heart of the matter more quickly and without the distraction of unrelated posts. Let's say that Poster A and Poster B agree to debate on the another forum. Posters C and D express their desire to join. Poster A and B agree and the debate continues on the Debating Forum with only the agreed participants allowed.

Also, if you felt that a thread was getting out of hand you could ask the principal posters to take their debate to the Debating Forum thereby limiting participation.

Would this help the board and the Mods here? Just an idea.

IW

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Island Women, I think the option of Private Messaging is a great way to steer certain 'off-topic' remarks into the realm of seeking clarity and perhaps, proper context.

It has happened with me. Occasionally, something will go a bit astray, and if I can, I like to take 'certain' matters into Private Messaging, and/or via there, exchange e-mail. Sometimes, even making a phone call to the 'other' party.

Otherwise, as you have seen, along with the rest of us, the endless quagmire of semantics and the 'he said-she said' pre-adult accusatory mindset.

I think private messaging/e-mail should suffice.

For the most part, debate is a lost art.

• IslandWoman
    IslandWoman

Hi Rayzorblade,

For the most part, debate is a lost art.

I agree! Thanks for the input.

IW

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

I think if debaters A, B, C, and D realized that they didn't have an audience, then there would be no debate.

They can go join that other DB........"Drama Queens R Us"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit