are JW's beliefs truly unique?

by gcc2k 5 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gcc2k
    gcc2k

I'm sure someone has researched this, and if so perhaps you would save me some time.

A common JW reply when he/she is presented with problems that would seem to indicate that this cannot be "God's organization" is for him/her to say "But where else will I go? Who else has the truth?"

So, given a list of beliefs that are cornerstones of the "truth", what other religions share them? I'll start a short list of beliefs that I would consider to be essential to "truth", taken mainly from the jw-media.org site. My guess is that many groups will have some of these beliefs, but no other religion will have all of them. I could be wrong.

God is not Jesus (no trinity)
    Heavenly class vs earthly class (earth as a paradise)
    Rejecting blood transfusions
    Rejection of pagan holidays - Christmas, birthdays, etc
    Actively preaching
    Known for their love
    Water baptism
    Dead are conscious of nothing
    Christians are no part of the world (reject politics, military roles)
    Jesus had fleshly brothers

Thanks!

• hooberus
    hooberus

The 3 Groups that are closest are:

Seventh Day Adventist Church

Worldide Church of God

Christadelphians

• hooberus
    hooberus
    A common JW reply when he/she is presented with problems that would seem to indicate that this cannot be "God's organization" is for him/her to say "But where else will I go? Who else has the truth?"

Read John 6:68 in context its talking about a person (Jesus Christ), not an organization.

• SpiceItUp
    SpiceItUp

Good thread...

I did a post about this same thing a while back.

Here's a link to get you started:

Just Like the rest of the world

Happy hunting and I'll be checking back to see what new ones you come up with.

Cheers,

Spice

• mizpah
    mizpah

There are a number of groups that hold the same beliefs in basic doctrines as Jehovah's Witnesses. (Trinity, Soul, Hell, etc.) Some of them like the Dawn Bible Students or the Layman's Home Missionary Society once had association with the Watchtower Society but broke away over disputes. They would now disagree with those teachings where the Watchtower makes scirptural application to itself. (Example: "faithful and wise servant")

The Worldwide Church of God is a good example of what can happen to a church under new leadership. Many of Armstrong's teachings were similar to that of the Watchtower. But when Armstrong died, the new leadership threw out most of these and went back to a more orthodox interpretation of scripture. This, of course, rent their organization apart. Now there are a number of small groups that still adhere to Armstrong's beliefs.

The Watchtower has experienced the same during its history. When Rutherford wrested the organization away from Russell's appointed men, the whole movement was in disarray. Even earlier, disputes caused some to disagree with Russell. (New Covenanters) They established their own churches some of which continue to this day.

• Myxomatosis
    Myxomatosis

Hi gcc2k!

Yeah, they're pretty damn unique! But only in what they TEACH, not what they deny about orthodox Christianity, here's a little sample from other cults who are so similar it's freaky it at times. Also, they are not similar with their claims about WHY they are the true Church you know the same old " were all in UNITY, so we must be the only one's with G-d's spirit*in other words, we've all conformed, so of course were unified!* and cleaning out all the 'paganism' in Christianity, etc." I wrote this a while back :)

btw, this is from an older book 'Understanding the Cults' by Josh McDowell, most of this info still stands, but the WWCOG has done an about face, openly admitting their legalism, false prophecy, and false doctrine, and most astonishing, teaching the Trinity now. But this is still pretty accurate.

: let's see what some think of themselves, in a nice close juxtaposition:

God's Visible Organization (all other churches, beliefs, part of the Great Babylon), Jehovah's theocratic organization, The Truth, Restored beliefs of the first century Christianity, Jehovah is the Father while WTBTS is the mother, obey the parents!! Faithful and Discreet Slave, chosen by Jesus in 1919 to be the only source of truth to men on earth. Since it is divinely guided, they are right, everyone else has to be wrong., Armageddon is always near and the end to 'this wicked system of things'
    *unbelief in the Trinity*
    Founder: Charles Taze Russell
    Rejects Orthdox Christianity

The only True Church (all others are wrong), Restored from the beliefs Jesus first taught to Man, Quote "If it had not been for Joseph Smith and the restoration, there would be no salvation outside the Church of Jesus Christ of latter day saints" (Bruce R. McConkie, Mormon Doctrine, p.670)
    Founder: Joseph Smith jr.
    Rejects Orthodox Christianity

The only church since the first century has been teaching the Bible accurately until them. Victor Paul Wierwille teaches to others what God reveals to him about what should be taught, which means anything other than his way is wrong. Victor Paul has the only true interpretation of the Scriptures, and is the only one who can lead fellow Bible Students out of the confusion in which traditional Christianity has engulfed them (Basically what either JW's or Mormons would say :)
    Founder: Victor Paul Wierwille

Very Similar to JW's claims of Christianity: Quote:

"...I found that the popular church teachings and practices were not based on the Bible. They had originated, as research in history had revealed, in paganism. Numerous Bible prophecies foretold it; the amazing unbelievable truth was, the SOURCE of these popular beliefs and practices of professing Christianity, was quite largely paganism, and human reasoning and custom, NOT the Bible!" (Herbert W. Armstrong, The Autobiography of Herbert W. Armstrongpp.298,299)
    as well as:
    "A.D. 69, the apostles and the church fled to Pella from Jerusalem according to Jesus' warning (Matt. 24:15, 16)That was the End of the organized proclaiming of Christ's gospel by His church to the world!...For eighteen and one-half centuries, all worldwide organized proclaiming of Christ's gospel was stamped out! Ibid, pp502, 503
    *THAT IS EXACTLY LIKE MORMONISM, WHICH TEACHES CHRISTIANITY WAS 18 CENTURIES IN APOSTASY*

*This could be something right of the WT or Awake!*

"Astounding as it may seem, there is no other work on earth proclaiming to the whole world this very same gospel that Jesus taught and proclaimed!
    And listen again! Read this twice! Realize this, incredible though it may seem- no other work on earth is proclaiming this true gospel of Christ to the whole world as Jesus foretold in Matthew 24:14 (a favorite of JW's)and Mark 13:10! This is the most important activity on earth today!" (Herbert W. Armstrong, personal letter to Robert Sumner, November 27, 1958)
    Similar to Jehovah's Witnesses also in "Today Christ has raised up his work and once again...for proclaiming His same gospel, preparatory to His second coming"

And Just like the mormons, God is not a Trinity, but more than one God, "And as I have explained previously, God is not a single person, but the Hebrew word for God portrays God as a FAMILY of persons"

*unbelief in the Trinity* (Armstrong feels that the doctrine of the Trinity is the result of the teachings of false prophets)
    Founder:Herbert W. Armstrong

(beliefs are so similar to JW's, I just have to say it again here's what they say about the Holy Spirit: "...the Holy Spirit is not a person, but the power God the Father uses- much as a man uses electricity" where JW's believe the holy spirit (uncapitalized) is Jehovah's active force. (I bet they wish they'd come up with the comparison to men and electricity :)

CHRISTIAN SCIENCE:

claims divine revelation (as JW's (well, reveal it as you go, afterall, they are God's organization), Mormons, The Way, WWCOG, ICOC) apart from the bible
    Mary Eddy Baker (founder)writes:

" I should blush to write of 'Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures' as I have, were it of human origin, and I apart from God its author, but as I was only a scribe echoing the harmonies of Heaven in divine metaphysics, I cannot be supermodest of the Christian Science Textbook" (Christian Science Journal. Jan 190)

further:

" But I certify you, brethren, that the Gospel which was preached of me is not after man. For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ."

She follows it with this claim:
    "In the year 1866, I discovered the Christ Science or divine laws of Life, Truth, and Love and named my discovery Christian Science. God has been graciously preparing me during many years for the reception of this final revelation of the absolute divine, Principle of scientific mental healing."

*Unbelief in the Trinity"
    Founder: Mary Eddy Baker
    Rejects Mere Christianity as well as perhaps the most eastern influenced of all.

Things in common:

1. New Truth, or things previously unreveiled
    2. The sole correct interpretation of the Scriptures
    3. Divine Guidance, therefore everything they say in opposition to Christianity is just correction by G-d.
    4. Jesus is not deity (except in the case of mormonism)
    5. Nonbelief in the Triune nature of G-d
    6. Even though they won't normally openly admit this, they all believe you

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit