Anaphalactic shock....was the therapy ever condemned by WTBTS

by shotgun 9 Replies latest watchtower medical

• shotgun
    shotgun

I need to know this ASAP...please let me know if the epinephrine treatment or injection would have at any time been condemned.

Thanks

• blondie
    blondie

Not that I am aware of. I have been using it for over 30 years. What is the reason you have been given for not using it? As far as I know it is not made out of blood like a tetanus shot, but even that is allowable for JWs for some time. It comes from the adrenall glands (adrenalin) which as far as I know has nothing to do with blood. There was a time before the 50's where health treatment was pretty bizarre in the pages of the WT publications, especially the Consolation and Golden Age.

Blondie

• Scully
    Scully

I have never heard of the WTS not allowing the medical use of epinephrine (adrenalin).

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that a JW could come to the conclusion that epinephrine, being an endogenous (produced by the body) hormone produced by the adrenal glands, comes from blood. However, epinephrine that is used in the medical setting is synthetic, so there is no reason why it could not be administered to a JW in a life-threatening situation.

If they use "derived from blood" argument with epinephrine, they would also have to apply it to insulin, oxytocin, atropine and a host of other commonly used synthetic hormones.

Love, Scully

• blondie
    blondie

Yay, Scully. I knew you would know. There was a time that anything derived from blood, tetanus injection comes to my mind, was forbidden. Especially, during the 20's, 30's, and 40's. It ended especially with vaccinations when it was increasingly difficult for Gilead graduates and traveling Bethel bigwigs to get passports without vaccinations. There are some JWs from that generation left over and their offspring that buy into it still. I knew a brother who would not allow his children to be vaccinated, thus they could not go to public school. He was the only one in the congregation and felt the rest of us were disobeying God.

Blondie

• mustang
    mustang

Atropine???

Atropine is a narcotic alkaloid derived from PLANTS of the Nightshade Family. As a matter of Taxonomy, it hails from the Plant Kingdom and not the Animal Kingdom. Thus, association with blood is beyond impossible.

Mustang

• blondie
    blondie
    Thus, association with blood is beyond impossible.

Mustang, you mean any "logical association with blood. There are some strange JWs and eccentric views about so-called medical treatment.

Blondie

• mustang
    mustang

True, Blondie. I allowed for normal competence here, but you must consider the source, as you point out.

The JW that makes this far-flung association does not belong in the gene pool.

Mustang

• shotgun
    shotgun

I don't know if there ever was a prohibition....I am looking for weak spot in the armour of one of the elders that is coming to visit me. They are quick to say that all the previous prohibitions on various things were of little consequence...thats because it never affected them personally. He has a small boy with severe peanut allergies.

Looking for a weakness to show a comparison he could relate to.

Thanks

• Scully
    Scully

Thanks for the clarification Mustang.... glad you're on our side.

Love, Scully (memories of the lecithin scare from the 70s)

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Shotgun,

As far as weak points, why don't you try Organ transplants, Vaccinations, and blood products that were formally banned. Another point might be the recent change that allows "alternative military service" to people who have been drafted but don't want to fight with the military. Many witnesses have died due to these restrictions, But now they are supposedly OK.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit