Hope I'm in the right place...

by zeena1998 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• zeena1998
    zeena1998

Hi all.

As some of you know, I'm not a JW, nor have I ever been. I have a friend who is one and have entertained the idea of becoming part of the collective. That all ended after doing some serious research into the organization. One of the things that I read a while back that had me scratching my head still has me puzzled and I was hoping to ask here.

Is it true that the WTS keeps detailed files on all of its members? Master files that are sent to Bethel? I read that someplaced and find it appalling. In the article, it was stated that that secret file follows members around forever and it contains all of the notes that the elders have ever made on that particular person. For example, should Joe Blow create some sort of ruckus in town A and then move to town B (several hundred miles away), the elders in town B will know in short order what mischief JB did in town A. If that's the case, that is some scary tactic indeed!

Anyone able to comment on this?

Thanks!

Andie

• JeffT
    JeffT

There are some ex-elders around that could speak to this in more detail, but in a nutshell, yes. We moved twice, and I don't know for a fact that a full file followed us from place to place, but I know with certainty that our reputation (we weren't "strong" in the troof) did.

• zeena1998
    zeena1998

Scary thought, huh Jeff?

I wonder how many still in the borg know of this?

Andie

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I would suspect most know there is a file but believe it is only a record of their service time (door-to-door work).

Probably most who have been in trouble know the file is more than that.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Each congregation has publisher record cards in its file, kept by the Secretary. The card contains name, address, phone number, date of baptism, and each month's service report the person turned in, numbers transferred by hand to each card (lotsa work for the Sec). Each card needs to be replaced about once every two years, because 24 months of service numbers can fit on each.

Whenever a judical matter is handled, a file folder is created on it and kept in the congregation file. The info includes details of the matter, the person(s) involved, and the names of the JC that handled the matter. The Society gets certain forms (s-77 if I recall) sent to them with a summary of each judicial offense that results in dfing or da'ing, if I recall correctly.

When a publisher moves to a different congregation, a letter of introduction is sent, and that includes the publisher card(s).

• shamus
    shamus

Yes, they do keep all such records. I am one of the people that is not too concerned about what they have on me... they can stick it straight up their arse for all I care. What is it going to say about me? I have a bad attitude... Whoopity freakin' dooda.

• zeena1998
    zeena1998

LOL @Shamus!! Who are you??? My step-daughter???? " I have a bad attitude... Whoopity freakin' dooda"

• mizpah
    mizpah

In addition to the "recommendation" letters sent with the Publisher's Record File, sometimes elders would send "poison pen" letters to the elders in the new congregation. I personally know of a case where a couple went to another state to "serve where the need was great." The old presiding overseer sent a letter recommending that the brother not be used as an elder because of a grudge he had against him. When this couple moved again to a new area, this same elder sent another letter to the body of elders in this new congregation recommending the same. However, in this case, the elders had known the brother for a number of years and said that no one was going to tell them who to recommend or not.This brother was then appointed as an elder.

It was this type of unchristian conduct along with questions we had about the teachings of the Watchtower Society that made me and my wife finally leave the organization after many years of association. Upon leaving, we discovered how superficial the "love" of Jehovah's Witnesses really is. Shunned by friends and family, we came to realize loyalty to an organization of men means more to Jehovah's Witnesses than the love of God and Christ. It was a difficult lesson....but one that is well taught.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Rocketman has it right , I believe. The normal dubs info is kept at the cong and his record cards follow to new one if he moves. The "Bethel " only have personal details of those d/fd etc . If a man is recommended for elder or M/servant the letter goes up to them but we do not know how long that is kept. With 6million active dubs it would be a large filing system that could track them all.

In the UK , the "Data Protection Act " has cut out a lot of the personal stuff that we used to write if someone moved to a new cong. I am told by a Secretary that now they just send the cards and a brief covering letter with no personal comments.

I always tried to be fair, and helpful when I wrote those letters in the old days, but I have heard some horror stories, and even suffered from an unfair letter once myself when I moved

Of course , there is no stopping the old congo having a telephone conversation with the new one and passing on some unstubstantiated comments.

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

This is just another facet of the JWs utter lack of trust and absolute paranoia about everyone.

Very few JWs will befriend and wholly accept a new person claiming to be a JW without some sort of introduction from a "trusted" JW source. Ever try to get onto a 'secured' JW message board? (I haven't, but I've heard that Cerebus is easier to get past)

They might be bad association, you know, or disassociated, or disfellowshipped, or, horrors, apostate, and trying to go somewhere where no one knows them and trick the congregation - think of the consequences! JWs might actually come in contact with someone who doesn't think like them! The damage that could do to their insulated world!

I personally don't see why it's such a big deal, considering that each and every JW has to be ready to shun each and every other JW, at a word from the elders...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit