Some Good Actions from Organized Religion

by maxwell 1 Replies latest jw friends

• maxwell
    maxwell

The primary reason that I left the JW religion is because I realized that there was no conclusive proof that there is a God. After I started freely thinking on my own I was able to see many other hypocritical and unreasonable practices and actions of this religion. JW are always pointing out these things in other religions and it is true that other organized religions at time have unreasonable and/or hypocritical practices and judgemental beliefs or doctrines. For example, if you're aren't acting this way, then you will die, or if you aren't saved you're going to hell. Other religions also feel a need to save people or conduct missionary proselytizing activities although they may not proselytize and push their religion as much as JW's do.

However, I was watching a documentary on PBS a few nights ago. They seemed to be highlighting a female minister who took the lead in many non-violent civil rights protests in Alabama. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name, but as I was watching it struck me that church congregations and organized religion played a significant part in the civil rights movement in the US. Everyone knows the Rev. Martin Luther King. Although I am no historian, I know that many of the other civil rights leaders were church leaders as well. Sometimes emotion whipped up by the churches motivated people to march or commit acts of civil disobedience. So although I have no feeling about God or belief in religion now, as a black man, I feel some indebtedness to those leaders and those who worked with them.

And even now, a lot of relief work in other countries and help for the needy even in this country is organized through churches. JW did nothing for the civil rights movment and do very very little for the needy. They only help when there's a disaster in an area where there's JW and may give out leftowvers to others after they've helped JW first. But some other churches have food drives and relief work organized all the time.

Certainly, there were other non-religious groups involved in the civil rights movement and in relief work and in helping less fortunate members of the world local and abroad. But I think that some organized religions (not including the JW) have played a role that would not have been easily filled if they had not been there. I just wonder what the world would be like if they didn't do those things.

That's just some thoughts I was having. Comments are welcome.

• happyout
    happyout

Maxwell,

I agree that religion has done a lot of good, and continues to do good in many areas. If my memory serves, the abolitionists were also religiously based, and where would we be without them?

On the other hand, I think history shows that more people have also been killed and persecuted in the name of religion than any other cause. I wonder if the good outweighs the bad? Any thoughts?

Interesting question.

Have a great day,

Happyout

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit