I just realized I could have died

by Jayson 3 Replies latest jw friends

• Jayson
    Jayson

Two days ago I decided to go out on my motorcycle into the backwoods (kind of a desert) behind the city I live in. It's a combination of drylands that grow wheat and vast natural sagebrush. I was about 10 miles off road when a 200 or 300 acer brush fire broke out below where I was. It was probably a little less than a half mile below me and growing fast. It jumped a highway and a county road. If the fire department had not stopped it before it started climing the hill it would have trapped me in the brush and a mountian side. Granted I might have been able to out run it but something similar to this happened to a fire chief about 5 or 10 years ago. By the time he realized that the fire was coming up the hill it was too late. He lived butwas horribly disfigured. I was at the base of the hill and watched that fire climb. (Man wild fire can move.) That was so long ago but I still remember it. I did not even know about the fire until I got home. No smoke and no clue. It's scary how close life threatening danger can be and one can be totally unaware of it.

• KGB
    KGB

I went down, down, down, but the flames went higher and it burns, burns, burns that ring of fire, that ring of fire

I used to be a voluntary fire fighter, I know how fast the flames can catch up on your arse. Wath it when the wind blows, whoosh and your toast.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

jay i'm gald you got out safely . i thought you were going to say you wrecked on the bike ... be careful one time one of the cars i was towing the tire locked up and went on fire . i said ok no problem then the gas line opened and there was falmes every where. i think it was the first time i was ever scared of fire. thank s the fire dept came before my truck went up ... be well , john

• safe4kids
    safe4kids

Jayson,

Glad you made it out safely, but what a powerful example of how fragile is the line between life and death. Thanks for sharing your experience; it's another reminder that life needs to be valued and enjoyed while we yet have it.

Dana

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit