Lying Experiences at Assemblies.

by ninecharger 9 Replies latest social entertainment

• ninecharger
    ninecharger

At assemblies shining examples are trundled out to reel off their "encouraging" stories.

Over the years there were many examples where I knew the people concerned, and wanted to vomit because they were telling a load of lies or at best half truth. (Why are we not surprised?)

When you knew someone giving their spiel, how often was it that you knew they were either lying or exaggerating?

• Latte
    Latte

ninecharger,

Yes, I know what you mean!

I remember a sister being interviewed stating what a wonderful spiritual schedule her family followed, everything during the day seemed to be centered on study, ministry,study, ministry.....etc..etc.

The one thing which she didn't highlight was that she had in fact chosen to home educate her children, and therefore had plenty of opportunity to fulfill her ultra spiritual daily schedule.

I really though that her gushing 'aren't I good ' speech was most discouraging for all the other families who found even a weekly family study hard to fit it. I really thought it put a lot of pressure on families. Yes, it was certainly NOT the full picture!

By the way ninecharger.............

WELCOME!

• freedom96
    freedom96

The parts at the assemblies are there to promote a certain topic. Nothing more, nothing less.

You certainly will never hear the "other side".

• basics-for-me
    basics-for-me

So sorry to say that I too have been guilty of bullshitting from the platform at an assembly.

It didn't start out that way though. I was asked certain questions, answered them and from that point began a series of edits and suggested paraphrases from the elder that was doing the item. Each time we had a rehearsal my lines kind of turned into his lines.

Being naive and totally gullible did not help. Neither did the feeling of being totally caught up in the exciting frenzy that us priveleged few were in the middle of. Well it beat the usual humdrum anyway.

I deeply regret that particular incident and only when I think about it do I realise just how much mind-control they actually exerted over me. I feel ashamed and used.

Bay64me

• Brummie
    Brummie

A young sister was on the assembly platform talking about how she finished school in just a few weeks and her hearts desire was to enrol in the pioneering ranks and become regular, she was held up as an example of "youth serving Jehovah", anyhows, she left school and was disfellowshiped immediatley after for immorality. Good for her for being more human than robot.

Brummie

• Tammie
    Tammie
    A young sister was on the assembly platform talking about how she finished school in just a few weeks and her hearts desire was to enrol in the pioneering ranks and become regular, she was held up as an example of "youth serving Jehovah", anyhows, she left school and was disfellowshiped immediatley after for immorality.

I heard about that one also. Go figgure.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I remember my dad talking about a brother who had to give an experience about how he conducted is family study - and the brother who was giving the talk told him to essentially lie and "present the ideal" as being fact - that the family met every week to study instead of what the brother wanted to say, that they met most weeks but sometimes it didn't work out.

Always they are super concerned with "image" and not with fact or substance.

CZAR

• Withoutwings
    Withoutwings

Yeah, I love when families go up together for a part and gloat about how spiritual they are and how their family is so close to perfect...but in reality their children are drug addicts, sex fiends, and junior hitlers.

• Odrade
    Odrade

I agree with most of the above, but have to add that one of the reasons it is so hard for SOME to get out, is SOME of the experiences and demonstrations are totally true. Which is some respects is even sadder to someone who has gotten out from under it all. I never lied, exaggerated or made up stuff in a part. Really was that big of a goody-two-shoes. I knew plenty of others who were too.

So when I would hear the outlandish experiences and demos at the C.A. and D.C., I never knew what to think... if they were making stuff up, or if the family/person represented really was that involved.

Odrade

• wheres caleb?
    wheres caleb?

There have been those that are sincere, but modesty keeps them from going up there and presenting something that would be an exaggeration of the truth. The stories of those that go up there and tarnish the reputation of the organization are too many to dismiss. One CO said that they were aware of this and were scrutinizing all these individuals.

No second hand stories here: Regular pioneer interviewed by CO and is disfellowshipped for becoming a stripper one month later. Kids are very suspect because of the lure to live a double-life. One young brother was a parent's nightmare. So when he started taking to the 'truth', the elders were very proud of his progress. He was held up as a good example and was turned in by his girlfriend for sexual fondling. Boys will be boys.

It's nice to know that you can do something like this, and just get your hand slapped when the elder's reputation is at stake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit