C. T. Russell gay?

by startingover 5 Replies latest jw friends

• startingover
    startingover

My gay nonJW cousin who I have been sharing JW information with, made a comment to me I want to share. After reading this quote concerning Russell from Jan Haugland's "Successor Problem" thesis, "It is also a fact, as both parties confirmed in court, that the marriage was never consummated. First, Russell seems to have had a low sex drive. Second, he was of the opinion – so common in Victorian times – that sex was filthy, animalistic and detracted from true spirituality. This was a source for much frustration to Maria Frances. ...", he said his "gaydar" went off. He said..."This explanation of Russell's "low sex drive" leaves out consideration of the possibility that Russell was homosexual and sublimated his sex drive with religion. It is a very common occurrence... Wouldn't this interpretation raise the ire of the Watchtower group!" Interesting observation.

• Hamas
    Hamas

Clutching at straws, my friend.

• Mary
    Mary

Hmmmmm.......never heard any rumours that he was gay.........didn't he have an affair with some young girl?? I thought I remember reading somewhere that he compared himself to a jellyfish "going from one to another", or something like that...........

• Maverick
    Maverick

The only certain thing about Russell is ....He's dead! Maverick

• startingover
    startingover

Not grabbing at any straws, just sharing comments by a gay man. He also said he feels "gaydar" is right on more often than not. Any comments from the ex-JW gay community?

I too read that he had a relationship with a young girl which caused problems with his relationship with his wife. Hadn't heard about the jellyfish thing but I will file it away

And, you're right, he is dead.

• rocketman
    rocketman

"gaydar", lol, that's quite the term.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit