Making friends after leaving the org

by Leander 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Leander
    Leander

Has anyone else out there had problems in this area? Its been a little more than a year since I've left the JWs and as expected I lost a lot of friends, while they have'nt out right declared me off limits its clear that I'm longer considered as being close company. Usually I don't mind as I've always been a quiet kind of guy, but sometimes I really miss being able to just have a good friend to talk to every now and then. I've grown a lot closer to my wife in the past year, in retrospect I think we both imagined the future would have been a lot worse after I announced my departure but pleasantly its worked out just the opposite. But while its good to have a strong relationship with one's spouse sometimes you still need a friend to hang out with every so often.

I really wish I could be a little more outgoing when it comes to making new friends. But I'm starting to realize that outside of a brief conversation here and there its really hard for me to trust anyone enough to move beyond casual aquaintance. Has anyone out there been able to overcome this? How did you go about finding new friends?

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I developed my artistic passions - theater. Made friends, met a lot of good people, am having the time of my life.

Enter writing contests, go to coffee shops, meet people you have something in common with. Be careful who you trust, but you will meet good people. They are out there.

CZAR

• markemark
    markemark

hi...... i was in the very same position as you 2 years ago but unlike you my wife of only a few months left me! then i really found out who my friends were! like NONE! any way i had no one to turn too but my family who arent in the jw. they were ok but i needed friends! so the best place 1st to look was at work! i made good friends at work but i am still to meet a best friend! who knows!? good luck

• freedom96
    freedom96

The fear of change is about the biggest fear that most people have.

Yes, some find it difficult to find friends, but if we want them, if we are shy, we must change and be outgoing. We need to seek the friends, and be someone that people want to be friends with.

I have found dozens and dozens of close true friends since leaving the Watchtower.

Just make it happen. You will be so glad you did.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    I've grown a lot closer to my wife in the past year, in retrospect I think we both imagined the future would have been a lot worse after I announced my departure but pleasantly its worked out just the opposite. But while its good to have a strong relationship with one's spouse sometimes you still need a friend to hang out with every so often.

It's comforting to see that not all marriages implode as a result of one person seeing past the WT fairytale.

I've found that it's quite hard to break free from that "isolationist" baggage that comes with being a JW. I don't remember having any friends that I could confide in while I was inside the ORG also though, being that I learned early on that you're bound to be "ratted out" if you said anything negative about the Org or felt you had to confess anything. A lonely existance indeed.

It's a slow process, breaking down that wall of unconsciously keeping people at arms distance. I was never the outgoing "clubbing" type so I had to look for those friendships at work and in the various hobbies I've taken up since my exit. It took me quite awhile, but I've managed to call at least one person I work with "friend" in that we talk to each other about almost anything...including religion. He's married with a family, shares some of the same interests I have in computers and cars, and feels the same contempt for organized religion, especially the WTS, as I do.

I'm starting to realize that outside of a brief conversation here and there its really hard for me to trust anyone enough to move beyond casual aquaintance.

I've found that this is often the case with people who were born into the religion without benefit of the practice of the skills necessary to socialize beyond the predescribed limits placed upon them by the WTS. My wife, even though she attends a sporadic meeting here and there yet never goes out in service, inactive as she is sits squarely in this category. She can barely function outside of her direct family and WT functions without eventually falling into the self-righteous WTS vs the World, we right- everyone else wrong JW judgementalism. After years of training, it's a hard habit to break.

You're only a year out. It's gonna take a lot longer than that and much practice before you're comfortably able to approach people with sheilds down. It's gonna take practice and a constant pushing away of the unconscious thought that somehow, everyone you approach is unworthy a strong friendship unless they're in the org. It's a gradual process whose battle won't be won overnight.

Good luck

BTW...it's great to hear from you again.

• breal
    breal

I relate leaving the org as similar to moving to a new city. It takes time to adjust. For me since I did both within a few years of each other I found that getting involved in any work activities helped, volunteer if you feel the desire and have the time. Another great way is if you enjoy sports join a "beer league" baseball, or volleyball team etc. It could even be a co-ed team if your spouse is inclined to join with you.

Most of all just open yourself up to the possibilities these new friendships offer. Remember that straight away they won't be exactly like the friendships from the past but that does not mean each friendship has little value and in time they will hopefully grow into the type of friendships you desire.

Cheers,

BReal

• maxwell
    maxwell

Yes I definitely have problems in this area. I've always been a quiet person and perhaps shy. I think I was shy in the past and just quiet now. But either way, it doesn't work well for making friends. You have to open up to people to be friends and that's something I was never very good at. I've been out a year and I still don't have any really close friends, as I've had in the past. But I think I've made some progress. I have met some people at Ex-JW meetups whom I consider friends. And the advise about finding some people with similar interests is something I've tried to follow. My two hobbies are music and bicycling. I take saxophone lessons and have gotten a few opportunities to get out and play. I have gone on a few cycling group rides and plan on joining a recreational cycling club in the area. Both music playing and the cycling with groups brings me into contact with new people. I've met some people that way, and I'm trying to improve my social/friendly skills and stay open to making new friends

• libra_spirit
    libra_spirit

Talk about hitting a nerve! I think every active JW probably feels like a quiet and isolated person. When the magnifying glass is turned on you it is hard to trust. My main source of new aquaintances has been the Unitiarian fellowship, as well as my involvement in the arts. It has taken a long time but I do now know several people that I really do trust, people who can keep a confidence. I have learned to observe people and just take them for what they are, not trying to change them. Also learning to accept them despite thier differing view on life has been a real valuable realization.

It takes time and you are just starting. Set a goal to meet more people and then actually get to know them. Ask questions, get them to talk about what really lights them up, and them listen. To have friends is really to learn to become a friend. Drop all urges to be judgmental or cut others off when you discover that thier views are different from yours. Realize that your views will change. Also realize that you do not have to remain friends with someone who really makes you feel uncomfortable, you can not force a friendship as the JW's would pretend is possible. Good friends are not plastic or shallow, they do not judge you or your decisions in life.

Good Luck!

:)

• dobby
    dobby

Making friends after leaving the org. can be hard at first. Especially if you are a bit shy or grew up as a witness. I am very shy and have a hard time making friends.

However, I have been out for 18 months and can say that I have friends now. Actually, I have found that making "worldly" friends is a lot easier than the friendships I tried to keep up as a witness. I have had success making friends at work and with my neighbors. I am also joining a book club and hoping to make friends there.

Please remember that you must RELAX. Take your time, be yourself. True friendships take time. Don't put a lot of pressure on yourself. Just let things flow. Show a genuine interest in people. Listen to them. Talk about common interests. Start small. And never, ever allow your witness past to overcome your efforts. Even if you find that you are awkard and make mistakes because of the social isolation you have experienced in the past, don't allow yourself to be made to feel as if you are a lost cause. You have every right as a human to have relationships and you will have them. Just grab on to this experience and enjoy the ride.

Good luck Leander, I have enjoyed your posts in the past and am glad to see you are still around.

• Leander
    Leander

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to try and make an effort to get out of the house and little more and just live. I always feel like I'm saying something foolish when I'm around new people so I usually end up being very quiet, I guess I'm going to need to really work hard to break through the shell. Maybe I'll try to do like some of you guys and join a club, I've always wanted to learn how to play the guitar and piano.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit