Serial Cat Killer in Denver

by happyout 7 Replies latest social current

• happyout
    happyout

More dead cats found in Denver area

'It breaks my heart'

Monday, June 30, 2003 Posted: 9:47 PM EDT (0147 GMT)

Story Tools Save a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.comSave a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.com Email a link to this articleEmail a link to this article Printer-friendly version of this articlePrinter-friendly version of this article View a list of the most popular articles on our siteView a list of the most popular articles on our site

DENVER, Colorado (AP) -- Four more dead cats have been found in the Denver area, heightening fear among pet owners that a serial cat killer is in their midst.

Authorities say at least 40 mutilated cats have been discovered in Denver and its suburbs in the past year, including four killed over the weekend. The toll in Salt Lake City is 10 cats and another unidentified animal.

Christy Hughes had stopped reading stories about the attacks. Then her husband found the eviscerated body of their 15-year-old cat, Bugsy, outside the front door of their Aurora home two weeks ago.

"I blame myself, because had I read it, I never would have let my cat outside," she said Monday. "I've had a hard time forgiving myself for that."

Authorities are worried that despite the attacks, pet owners still are letting their cats roam outside.

"I've had people say, 'They don't like to stay inside,"' said Temma Martin, spokeswoman for Salt Lake County Animal Services. "Well, look at the stakes here."

In several cases, it appears the attacker kills the cat, then taunts the owner by bringing back the remains. Some of the animals were cut with surgical precision. Some may have been killed by another animal.

The Colorado penalty for aggravated cruelty to animals is up to 18 months in jail and a $100,000 fine.

Hughes said Bugsy was attacked sometime between 1 a.m., when he last went out, and 6:15 a.m., when he was found dead.

She said she is "retraining" her two kids and husband not to let their two kittens outside anymore.

"For a week I couldn't sleep because I just kept seeing my cat over and over," she said. "It breaks my heart seeing somebody else go through this."

• Scully
    Scully

Geez there are some sick bastards out there....

Love, Scully

• happyout
    happyout

Yes, and apparently this is a common trait for those who grow up to be serial killers (of humans). They really need to catch this person and lock them up! It's bad enough to kill and mutilate, but to then take the animal back to it's owners to taunt them is just waaaaaay out of control.

Happyout (glad she doesn't live in Denver with a kitty)

• JH
    JH

Cats are my favourite animals. If ever I saw someone hurt a cat on purpose, my blood would boil and I would look the person in the eye like this Hulk Picture: 1

And then I would go up to that person and

• Hamas
    Hamas

lol...

This is sure to kick up some fuss amongst the cat owners on this board....

I sure don't like cats, but I would never purposly hurt an animal. I heard there was a Cat kidnapper around my area; fine in my opinion. Cats are becoming a nusence.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I had a beautiful cat years ago when I was a kid. It was killed by some kid down the street who was fascinated with death. Death got to him when he was 26 years old.

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Some people are sick to torture animals.

Nice pussy should be treated with respect

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

How about ALL people are sick that torture animals?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit